The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking innto going somewhere next year besides NY and saw that Virginia had pretty liberal tags and the price for non residents was reasonable. Was wondering if anyone has hunted here and what there opinions were.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Millions of acres of National Forests just 3 hours south of Chambersburg on route 81...Bear season runs over a month..Very LIGHT hunting pressure in alot of areas..Paradise...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Millions of acres of National Forests just 3 hours south of Chambersburg on route 81...Bear season runs over a month..Very LIGHT hunting pressure in alot of areas..Paradise...

·
Banned
629 Posts
Hmmm. My brother lives in Ashburn Va. He doesn't hunt but I could stay with him for a few days of hunting in Va.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I hunt near amherst county every year. That is one of the counties that allow dogs in some areas to run deer. My first time was quite an experience. As others have said Lots of National Forest and depending on the area 5 or 6 deer per season.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hunted there for 11 years. My sons and I hunted Fort AP Hill and Quantico exclusively. We shot a lot of nice bucks in both places. Didn't have a reason to go any place else.

Quantico also has good waterfowl hunting and blinds are provided.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm hunting in virginia this season for the first time. Yes, as was mentioned, theres more public than than you'll know what to do with (george washington national forest) and a big game license includes 2 either sex tags and 3 antlerless tags and 2 bear tags. HOWEVER, the deer herd in the national forest is notoriously sparse, good habitat is very hard to come by and a large part of the land is very mountainous and basically unhuntable. All of this, combined with very liberal hunting regulations for private land surrounding the national forest makes your prospects of killing a deer not too good. plenty of bear and thye run dogs down here for them but deer...not so much. people in PA complain about the deer herd and the amount of tags issued..take a hike down to VA and you'll see what giving out 5 deer tags per license and lack of adequate habitat will do to a deer herd. oh and poaching is a real plague down here.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I hunted in Virginia about 20 years ago. But I was hunting on a private farm. They had a lot of deer. I could have killed a deer every time I was on stand. I seen the bigest buck I've ever seen in the woods but left him go because it was a 60 yard shot.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
hemicuda said:
I hunted in Virginia about 20 years ago. But I was hunting on a private farm. They had a lot of deer. I could have killed a deer every time I was on stand. I seen the bigest buck I've ever seen in the woods but left him go because it was a 60 yard shot.
Maybe you should go back there since PA has no deer

·
Registered
522 Posts
hunting in the national forest there is tough hunting try and get on one of the military bases there are about 12 in the state and have the best hunting opportunities aside from private land in the southern counties. Also it's a looooong shot and I'm not sure if they changed their regs I haven't lived there in 5 years but if you hunt out by the tennesee border you could substitute one of your antler tags for an elk. Don't go there expecting to see an elk but there is a chance that a couple wander over the border and check their regs to see if they changed it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Many areas of Virginia they hunt deer with dogs.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
G-Daddy said:
Many areas of Virginia they hunt deer with dogs.
Yes they do. And I would recommend that you generally steer clear of those areas (unless you're hunting with dogs too).

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yes you can run dogs in most of the state. However that is only during rifle season. There is archery and muzzleloader season that they don't. 3 buck 3 doe, and 3 turkey and a bear. Long liberal seasons and plenty of game. Can't speak of the national forest but I love hunting and living here now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies, not sure if I am going here or not but definately appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I moved down to Ashburn, Va almost 2 years ago. Finding a place to hunt was hard, as there really isn't many public places to hunt locally, but after knocking on some doors I was able to get permission to hunt a 700 acre farm. Its really RARE that when I hunt there I don't see a deer. Most of the time it's a buck. Saw about 15-18 different buck this year from the same area....I see a couple monsters each year, but of course they are on the edge of the property I don't have permission to hunt. Definately some big deer roaming around though. Good luck!!!

·
Banned
234 Posts
I hunted Virginia twice. Enjoyed it both times. Saw good numbers of deer. Harvested an 8 point on the 2nd trip. Public land hunting with relatives from Virginia that have since passed on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts