The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is pregnant and due in September. Since I'll be the one driving the kid to daycare I have to get a new vehicle. My 05 dodge ram is a single cab and apparently you can't put car seats in the front seat? Who knew? And my everyday beater car is an 08 honda fit which is basically a go kart with a license plate.

Basically I'm in the market for a 2014 or newer crew cab truck. And Blue Knob Auto's prices look to be insanely cheap. They have a 2015 F250 XLT gasser with less than 15k miles on it for $33k. All of their prices seem to be way lower than what you would see from a dealership. I would much rather buy an already depreciated truck than a brand new one.

Has anyone ever bought a truck or car from them before? Where do they get their vehicles from? They arent flood vehicles from another state are they? haha. Their prices just seem to be cheaper than everyone elses so naturally I'm suspicious. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
I've bought a few from them as have my family, have always had a good experience. Very low pressure to deal with. They give you the keys, you test drive it alone. Price is very much set in stone and there is very very little to no wiggle room in negotiations. Cars have always been very clean, I've run carfax on them and had the ones I bought to a personal mechanic for him to review as well.

Basically they are selling their vehicles just above auction value BUT they are also buying your vehicle at that same price. It's still apples to apples but be prepared to get much lower for your car, however their vehicle (as you've seen) is priced very low
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I've bought several vehicles from Blue Knob - and will continue to buy from them in the future. I can offer nothing but positive comments about them. Their costs, the way they treat you, the entire process of test driving cars/trucks, the purchase process - all great.

Their vehicles are mostly cars coming off of lease - whether that was a personal lease and the dealer doesn't want the used car on their lot or it was a commercial lease of some type (often rental companies). If you watch their website, they often get a bunch of the same brand and model of car at the same time - it has something to do with lease cycles, etc.

If you see a car/truck you like, don't think about it too long, they don't last. And if you are going to drive out to see a particular vehicle, call when you are leaving the house and they will normally put a hold on that one vehicle until you get there. But you can't do that more than an hour or two ahead of when you'll be getting there.

Good luck. And have some fun trying the different models. It actually makes car buying a much more enjoyable experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Three deals done at Blue Knob. All positive. As M&M says be ready to pull the triger if you like one. Web site is a good place to start but turn over is fast. Many have factory warranties to fall back on should problems occur. Saturdays can be very busy. But lots of staff are on duty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,479 Posts
My nephew and neice bought 2 at the same time from them and were satisfied.I never heard of em or been there but he told me about the deal.I,m pretty sure he said his 2 vehicles were rent a cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,860 Posts
Loads of people in this area buy cars there.Several of the dealerships in this area refuse to do warranty work on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. DCE: do you know why they refuse to do warranty work? Was it because they used to be commercial lease cars or was it because Blue Knob takes away alot of their business?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,352 Posts
I've bought several cars and trucks off them over the years. I have never had any trouble getting warranty work done at any dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Blue Knob Auto / aka The Repo Depot.
If you ever watched one of those television programs such as Lizard Lick towing, you would understand where their vehicles comes from.
Most of their vehicles comes from North Carolina, Virginia etc.
The buyer couldn't make the payment, and the finance company sent someone to repo it.
The repo company cannot resell it, so they give it to Blue Knob and Blue Knob sells it for what they can get for it and the previous owner is still on the hook for the difference.
Why is the vehicle so cheap - as you put it?
Blue Knob Auto Sales finances those vehicles and they have a floor plan. A floor plan is an agreement between the auction and the buyer, where the auction gives the buyer so many weeks to sell the vehicle before they have to pay for it. Unlike my savings account that pays .001% interest on my savings. Your interest payment - according to your credit history, is as much as 12%. You can't get 12% on your money, not even a bank can make 12%!

The way the vehicle looks when you buy it isn't the same as the way it looked when they hauled it in.
If you walk around their lot, you will see that they have their own mechanic shop and their own body shop and they butter up those vehicles so they look good long enough to get people to buy them.

So why does so many vehicles have Blue Knob Auto Sales on the back bumper? Well believe it or not, there is a lot of desperate people out there with poor credit or no credit at all. The bank would never give those people a loan - some of them are not trustworthy, but Blue Knob knows if you don't pay them - some people are on a weekly basis payment plan, they just drive up with the wrecker and repo the vehicle and send it even further north.

I have a sister that is over extended - 2 kids went to Penn State, lived in a condo, never worked in their whole life.
Mom tried to give them everything and even left dad because he didn't get along with the kids and tried to be a dad instead of a friend. Mom declared bankruptcy, screwed several credit card companies. Mom drove to Blue Knob, bought two new Honda vehicles, and drove home with no down payment.

Even I wouldn't have given her a loan! Especially not for $36,000 for two previously owned vehicles.

I tried to buy a Chevy Impala off them once.
I tried to close the door and it didn't shut properly.
I measured the chassis, it was missing 1.75 inches on the one side, was hit hard in an accident and the body shop hung a new front fender but didn't pull the Unibody first.

You have to be very careful of what you buy at Blue Knob Auto Sales. The payment might last longer than the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,391 Posts
I've never bought from them, but personally know several people who have, and have never heard a complaint, either about the sales/service, or the vehicles themselves. I know someone who works in their service dept, and claims that nothing suspect gets left go. It's worth it to them to make a tiny bit less than have issues down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
I bought my 09 Cobalt from them in 2009 with 12k miles on it. Currently have 184k on it. Financed it through them. They compared loan rates at 3 different banks for me to get me the best rate. I walked in, he handed me the keys and the CarFax report. Came from a fleet in Florida.

They make their money buy selling volume, not by screwing the buyer over. There is no negotiating, the price is what it is. They don't care if you buy the car or not because the next guy through the door will.

Also had warranty work done on mine at the local Chevy garage. Not sure how a dealer cannot honor a manufacturers warranty. It's not like they are losing money on the deal since the manufacturer is on the hook, not them as a dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,860 Posts
burninghxcsoul said:
Thanks for the input. DCE: do you know why they refuse to do warranty work? Was it because they used to be commercial lease cars or was it because Blue Knob takes away alot of their business?
I think it's because they under cut every other dealer and they don't have to service what they sell but I'm not entirely sure.I guess it just bothers some people.My buddy is a service manager at a Chevy dealer and he won't service a Blue Knob vehicle.I'm an insurance agent so I get phone calls all day from people buying cars and Blue Knob sells a pile of them.I can't remember ever hearing anyone complain after they bought one there.I personally wouldn't travel to buy a vehicle.I buy local from people who give me a fair deal,make some money off me and take care of me after I buy one.I don't nickel and dime anyone.I bought my wife a new wrangler from a local dealer in 2012.One day it wouldn't start.I was stuck at work so I called the dealer.Less than an hour later,they sent a flatbed out with a loaner for my wife and picked up the jeep.It needed a battery and they didn't charge me.Stuff like that means more to me than haggling over a couple hundred bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,860 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
I bought my 09 Cobalt from them in 2009 with 12k miles on it. Currently have 184k on it. Financed it through them. They compared loan rates at 3 different banks for me to get me the best rate. I walked in, he handed me the keys and the CarFax report. Came from a fleet in Florida.

They make their money buy selling volume, not by screwing the buyer over. There is no negotiating, the price is what it is. They don't care if you buy the car or not because the next guy through the door will.

Also had warranty work done on mine at the local Chevy garage. Not sure how a dealer cannot honor a manufacturers warranty. It's not like they are losing money on the deal since the manufacturer is on the hook, not them as a dealership.
I'm not an expert on dealerships.However,the way I understand it,they're independently owned franchises and they can refuse to service vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,479 Posts
I hear a ad on the radio all of time for a used dealer called Late Models For Less.It is in Butler.I have never heard of anyone buyin from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Well I could understand the right to refuse someone business, however they are on every street corner, someone is gonna get paid for doing that work, whether it's them or someone else.

I don't mind paying for quality stuff and service, however, I don't like getting ripped off either. My car was 4k more at a few of the dealerships I found it at aside from Blue knob. The price difference they give on a used truck compared to anyone is nuts. Anyone doesn't think a price difference like that isn't worth a couple hundred miles has more money than me. That's just my opinion tho,ill buy another used car there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Dealerships refusing to work on vehicles still under Manf. warranty will eventually get them in hot water. Never understood this as they'll get paid for the repair. I do understand them not providing loaner vehicles though unless the Manf. is covering that expense as well. Just sour grapes for the most part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Trail said:
Blue Knob Auto / aka The Repo Depot.
If you ever watched one of those television programs such as Lizard Lick towing, you would understand where their vehicles comes from.
Most of their vehicles comes from North Carolina, Virginia etc.
The buyer couldn't make the payment, and the finance company sent someone to repo it.
The repo company cannot resell it, so they give it to Blue Knob and Blue Knob sells it for what they can get for it and the previous owner is still on the hook for the difference.
Why is the vehicle so cheap - as you put it?
Blue Knob Auto Sales finances those vehicles and they have a floor plan. A floor plan is an agreement between the auction and the buyer, where the auction gives the buyer so many weeks to sell the vehicle before they have to pay for it. Unlike my savings account that pays .001% interest on my savings. Your interest payment - according to your credit history, is as much as 12%. You can't get 12% on your money, not even a bank can make 12%!

The way the vehicle looks when you buy it isn't the same as the way it looked when they hauled it in.
If you walk around their lot, you will see that they have their own mechanic shop and their own body shop and they butter up those vehicles so they look good long enough to get people to buy them.

So why does so many vehicles have Blue Knob Auto Sales on the back bumper? Well believe it or not, there is a lot of desperate people out there with poor credit or no credit at all. The bank would never give those people a loan - some of them are not trustworthy, but Blue Knob knows if you don't pay them - some people are on a weekly basis payment plan, they just drive up with the wrecker and repo the vehicle and send it even further north.

I have a sister that is over extended - 2 kids went to Penn State, lived in a condo, never worked in their whole life.
Mom tried to give them everything and even left dad because he didn't get along with the kids and tried to be a dad instead of a friend. Mom declared bankruptcy, screwed several credit card companies. Mom drove to Blue Knob, bought two new Honda vehicles, and drove home with no down payment.

Even I wouldn't have given her a loan! Especially not for $36,000 for two previously owned vehicles.

I tried to buy a Chevy Impala off them once.
I tried to close the door and it didn't shut properly.
I measured the chassis, it was missing 1.75 inches on the one side, was hit hard in an accident and the body shop hung a new front fender but didn't pull the Unibody first.

You have to be very careful of what you buy at Blue Knob Auto Sales. The payment might last longer than the vehicle.
I was going to reply to this, but decided to save my time for better things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Danesdad said:
Where is the place?
rt 764 in Duncansville (close to Altoona). If you are checking out Blue Knob, be sure to check out Buds Auto Sales (locations in Beaverdale and Indiana). Similar prices, a little wiggle room from what's posted on their website.

Just for reference, Blue Knob sold over 900 vehicles in the month of July (there is a counter on their website)! That's insane.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top