The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ground is starting to freeze again around here and the fox seem to be moving pretty good, but my most recent catch was a female red that had big patchy marks on the lower back of both sides. Fur quality was not that great so I let her go. I'm going to check them and pull Saturday morning. How's it looking for everyone else?

·
Registered
186 Posts
yeah i'm pulling sunday due to weather conditions and tired of checkin empty traps

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Just reset a bunch I snapped because the warm, wet weather made the two-tracks too soft to drive on.

Rebedded the rest I didn't snap and relured the whole line this morning.

The cold, dry weather I been waiting for all season is finally here!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Amen Lug! Just a skiff of snow and in the teens. I'll take it!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hoping for a dusting, this crust I can't stand. Pulled out of the 2 farms I got the coyotes on,hasn't been a track since the snow. Did pick up another red there this morning. Moved back to one I set early, found alot of sign.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I pulled all mine yesterday.charman03 this time of year the temps tell me what to do.If its 40 or above the rubs get a free pass and if its as cold as it was last night they take a ride.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Forestman3 said:
I pulled all mine yesterday.charman03 this time of year the temps tell me what to do.If its 40 or above the rubs get a free pass and if its as cold as it was last night they take a ride.
x2. no circulation plus freezing temps means that foot will be frozen. There is no coming back from that. Don't release a fox with 3 feet.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Rain Man said:
Forestman3 said:
x2. no circulation plus freezing temps means that foot will be frozen. There is no coming back from that. Don't release a fox with 3 feet.
X 3, no releases in freezing weather.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Lugnut said:
Rain Man said:
Forestman3 said:
X 3, no releases in freezing weather.
Very good point fellows... Glad you all replied..

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I actually, maybe, finally, might be getting ready to put out my fox line for the rest of the year.
Finally got my truck back! We shall see.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I picked 7 this week and they all had good fur. Finally some cold weather for next week. I'll be setting hard Saturday and Sunday and give it a week, 2 at the most.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The reason the female fox had patches of fur missing is because the male holds on with his paws while breeding. Also if you skin a female and her teats are red on the hide, she has already been breed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
old beaver said:
The reason the female fox had patches of fur missing is because the male holds on with his paws while breeding. Also if you skin a female and her teats are red on the hide, she has already been breed.

This I believe as well...

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
I tought about pulling my traps but I think i'll just keep them out until the last day.

·
Registered
192 Posts
pulling mine tomorrow,the fox were hit hard this season between the trappers who came out of the woodwork for the prices and the callers, make sure to leave seed!the price will be good next season.trap those big boar coon right now,picked up some real nice one's.time to go ice fishing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts