The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would make me feel better to hear from others whose shooting ability with flintlocks matches mine.

Got to the farm at first light and took a few confidence shots at 40 yards which is my limit. Shot twice and both were good to go.

Hung a portable stand in a grapevine tangle then settled in at about 11:00. Two doe were feeding at me at 1:30 and the lead doe stopped at 15 yards broadside. Flash in the pan was the outcome. My first misfire with the Firestorm. Almost got another shot off on her.

3:00, and 5 deer come feeding past at about 40 yards. Stop the lead doe in an opening and boom. Climb down and find nothing. Walked the trail out and did some sweeps without any sign.

Met up with my buddy and decided to do a slow sneak towards each other with dusk fast approaching. About 4:30 I catch 3 does headed my way on a brisk walk. Stop the lead doe at about 30 yards and boom. Looked like she was hit but ran up a steep hill. We searched in the failing light without finding any sign of a hit. Again did several sweeps and came up empty.

Got up this morning and took a walk to where I shot at the last doe to search again in better light. Nothing.

I guess the only good thing is I can do more hunting.
I think I am gonna carry my portable shooting bench with me this weekend.

You guys and girls that shoot flintlocks with precision are to be commended. Gonna have to spend some serious range time this coming spring and summer shooting the Firestorm offhand and with field rests.

Good luck all!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: Anyone else miss?

Not yesterday because I wimped out in the rain, but I have managed to miss a few with the flinter. It is not hard to do.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

I have yet to get a deer with my flintlock. I think I have missed like 5 or 6 bucks with that gun, and some doe. I had a huge 10pt 30yards last year and the gun didnt go off because I got the pan wet. Yesterday I went to take a shot at a doe and never got a spark. So I am in the same boat, I cant hit a deer but at the range Im right on. But hey I am having fun. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
18,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have gotten three but lets just say that I have missed more than that.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

I'm a good shot with a rifle or bow, but can't shoot a Flintlock worth a lick.
My buddy calls them a Flinchlock.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts

Everybody misses, I just didn't get the opportunity yesterday.

·
Registered
618 Posts

I still think the flinter is in the same category as the bow.... takes a lot of practice and time to learn to shoot it well. Can't wait to get out a little. I sure didn't think there would have been many guys out in that rain yesterday!!!! Eh, it was nice to just chill after all the holiday fuss.... Plus, we got everything put away so now I can just hunt when the weather clears...!!!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Just remember the higher the hit the higher the blood has to fill the chest cavity before you get a flow.Sometimes it takes yardage.A good lung or heart shot deer just can't live long like that.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Flintlock season is the only time I dont mind missing a deer.( unless it would be a big buck) I miss all the time but always have fun.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have missed every deer I have ever shot at with a flintlock (about 4 or 5).....completetely. Never have killed one. This is the first year in a while that I even hunted with one. Saturday I passed on a 15 yard broadside shot at a mature doe on state game lands in WMU 2G. I really wanted a buck more than just my first deer with the smoke pole. I like to think I would not have missed if I had taken the shot, but you never know. I did manage to hit a target at 25 yards at days end, so at least the gun would have went off in the wet weather!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I missed the whole first day... lol. heavy rain/ fog in the am and visiting family at the house in the afternoon kept me out of the woods with the flinter.

I did sneak out back on the sgl for a couple hours mid day with the shotgun and missed a grouse... does that count?
Did find another deer hangout about a mile from the house and on a steep/thick south facing slope... will be close to there a couple evenings this week and hope I don't miss

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh i'm right there with gheadboy. Give me a paper plate at 50 and 9 out of 10 times i'll hit it. You give me a deer at 15 yards and you'll get a good miss. In three years i've missed like 15 deer between 10-70 yards probably. Just get the flinches haha but i have lots of fun shootin

·
Registered
18,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am starting to feel better already.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I NEVER take my flintlock out in the rain--------Rain and blackpowder just do not mix!! I wait for the dry days.

JMHO
Dave

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
I missed one time being a driver standing in the same spot four times They just kept coming out of the woodwork never heard of that before until i did it

1 - 20 of 40 Posts