The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
My wife just made fresh picked strawberry jelly, it is awesome on toast, she will be canning sweet pickles very soon...

·
Registered
970 Posts
I started water bath canning last year. Did pickled cucumbers & hot peppers, red beets, peaches, and peach jam.

Will do more this summer, but I don't grow enough tomatoes to make canning them worth while.

I have made tomato sauce in the past, and my eight Roma plants only made two batches for four people after it was reduced enough for my taste.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
We can a lot. Yellow and green beans, pickled beets, pickles, tomato juice, carrots and spaghetti sauce. Three years ago we did 108 quarts of sauce, had 13 bushels of Roma's. Gonna run out this year,so I planted 50 Roma plants.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bigbrownie said:
We can a lot. Yellow and green beans, pickled beets, pickles, tomato juice, carrots and spaghetti sauce. Three years ago we did 108 quarts of sauce, had 13 bushels of Roma's. Gonna run out this year,so I planted 50 Roma plants.
Like I said, I made some pickles with store bought cucumbers, my garden veggies are not ready yet, did consider tomatoes, and beans, but not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
From the trees and bushes we can gooseberry, currant, raspberry, apple, crabapple, mulberry, blueberry, strawberry jam/jelly/syrup, peach preserves, and applesauce.

From the garden (and our neighbor) we do mexicali corn, green beans, sweet peas, peas & carrots, lima beans, dill and bread & butter pickles yearly.
We also do whole tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, ketchup, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, and salsa as needed.

·
Registered
882 Posts
JGR said:
From the trees and bushes we can gooseberry, currant, raspberry, apple, crabapple, mulberry, blueberry, strawberry jam/jelly/syrup, peach preserves, and applesauce.

From the garden (and our neighbor) we do mexicali corn, gjreen beans, sweet peas, peas & carrots, lima beans, dill and bread & butter pickles yearly.
We also do whole tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, ketchup, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, and salsa as needed.
Is that it!?

Just kidding. That's a whole lot of canning going on. I'm jealous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts