The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone buying extra mags, lowers or parts? I already have a pretty good amount ratholed away, but if I see a deal I will snag it. I think with the recent radical Islamist terror attack and the election coming up things might get a little tight. I did order some Glock19 Pmags off a company by the name of Mag Commander for 12 bucks and change apiece. They shipped quick and the ship rate was not bad. I ordered 20 and I think the shipping was $8.99.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Early bird gets the worm. I don't know how many "deals" you will see with this latest shooting. I do see online vendors raising prices...nothing too significant right now, but increases in general.

Most are buying firearms, when the reality is they should be buying mags and ammo. You can have tons of firearms, but if you don't have mags and ammo to feed the firearm, you just have an expensive baseball bat.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
After the Newtown price hike ended, PSA had a sale on bare lowers for $50 with free shipping. I bought a bunch of them to stick in the safe for a rainy day. I've built 3 of them out so far. I look at it more as an investment than anything. I've done dumber things with money haha and this way, when my son is older, he can have a couple of his own M4's.

I'm well stocked on mags, how many mags do you need? 10? 20? I dunno, I try and have at least 3 for each gun, sometimes that can get costly.

I reload so I try and stock up on primers and powder the most of anything.

If you aren't buying what you want in the future now, I think you're doing yourself a great disservice. 1. It might not be available. 2. It will probably be way more expensive.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say a guy should have a minimum of 10 mags per rifle and 5 per pistol. Mags Don't last forever and a guy can never have too many.

I with you on stocking up on components and ammo.

I just ordered a few 80% lowers from 80 Percent Arms. I have been wanting to give this a go and with their EZ jig it looks pretty easy. I got the raw billet and will Duracoat them. I always wanted a purple race gun.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You should have looked at Modulus Arms as they have the best jig that works with everything. I know they just had a sale for Memorial Day for the jig and their 80% lowers.
http://www.modulusarms.com/

I was considering getting into the 80%, but the mere cost to set up with tools and jigs, it wasn't worth it to me when I can buy stripped lowers for less and no papertrail.

I'd also recommend not doing Duracoat as it's a crap product...not to mention you can buy it cheaper from Sherwin Williams.

Get a good thermal cured finish such as KG Gunkote aka Norrell's Moly Resin or Cerakote. They are much more durable as you must bake the finish.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Aubie,

How can a stripped lower be no trail, unless bought privately?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aubie515 said:
You should have looked at Modulus Arms as they have the best jig that works with everything. I know they just had a sale for Memorial Day for the jig and their 80% lowers.
http://www.modulusarms.com/

I was considering getting into the 80%, but the mere cost to set up with tools and jigs, it wasn't worth it to me when I can buy stripped lowers for less and no papertrail.

I'd also recommend not doing Duracoat as it's a crap product...not to mention you can buy it cheaper from Sherwin Williams.

Get a good thermal cured finish such as KG Gunkote aka Norrell's Moly Resin or Cerakote. They are much more durable as you must bake the finish.
I will check out their jig, thanks. Are you saying it's the best because of what you have read? I ask this because you said you never got into the 80% thing.

Also, I know that Duracoat is not the best coating, but it does work well for what it is. I have done a few firearms with Duracoat and in my opinion they have held up well, especially a 1022 that was done at least 30k rounds ago.

If I ever get my workshop completed I will have a oven for baking finishes. Not using the oven in the the kitchen...that's for pies and bread. lol.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I use our oven all the time. I've been thinking about building a bake oven, so I can fit a barrel action. For now, I must bake the barrel separate from the action/receiver.

It's the consensus on ARF that the Modulus Arms jig is the best because you can use any 80% lower. The problem with 80% lowers is that there isn't a spec, so ever 80% lower can vary. I've even seen people use 80% polymer lowers on the Modulus Arms jig. Modulus also uses steel, so it will last much longer. I'm talking about their universal jig.

I also like that you can use a router instead of a drill press as the router is much faster to complete. If you are doing multiples, I'd recommend doing them same steps at a time to speed up the process.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
If anyone is looking for 80% lowers check out www. daytona tatical.com. T hey even have lazer engraved ones.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hiamovi said:
How much would a person pay to have their lower completed?
A little info from the 80% Arms website.

Is this legal?

Yes, in our home state of California, as well as almost every other state in the U.S., it is legal to build your own firearm for personal use, as long as you can legally own a firearm. You must build the lower yourself; it is not legal for somebody else to do it for you. You are not required to engrave a serial number or any other information on the lower, unless you later decide to sell it.

From the ATF:Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.

Source: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html

·
Registered
689 Posts
From my understanding you can sell a completed 80% lower as long as your intent was to not sell it for a profit.

People buy and sell all the time, so good luck with the gobermint tracking every 80% lower or stripped lower.

I personally think it's a lot of time to invest along with tools to go 80% lower route unless you plan on doing a bunch of 80% lowers.

Once I factor in buying the jib, router and bits and it takes at least 2 hours to finish each lower...I'd rather buy privately and save myself the time and extra tools.

Don't get me wrong, I love to tinker, but I have a 7 year old daughter, a full time job, a house, reloading and shooting...etc etc, so I just don't have the time to dedicate to shop time.

·
Registered
611 Posts
RobOz said:
Anyone buying extra mags, lowers or parts? I already have a pretty good amount ratholed away, but if I see a deal I will snag it. I think with the recent radical Islamist terror attack and the election coming up things might get a little tight. I did order some Glock19 Pmags off a company by the name of Mag Commander for 12 bucks and change apiece. They shipped quick and the ship rate was not bad. I ordered 20 and I think the shipping was $8.99.
Yes, my goal is to have a dozen mags for every rifle and pistol I own. I've also been trying to stock up on reloading components every chance I get. I don't ever want to have to go through another "shortage" like the one we just recently came out of.

·
Registered
132 Posts
God forbid we have a president Hillary and a democrat majority in either the house or senate. It is possible so we need to be prepared. I've been making sure I have the numbers I need to be at for mags, ammo, reload components and spare parts. It is not impossible that we have another "assault weapon" ban in our future. Pray to God and make sure your friends and family get out and vote to help avoid this scenario.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Ordered up some AK food and a couple more Gen2 pmags in 556. I am planning on adding at least a few more cases of ammo to the pile before November. Sitting on a couple lowers and might tinker with them some but mags and ammo are a priority for me right now especially having two kids that shoot and another on the way.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
RobOz -- Did you finish those lowers? How hard was it? I'm looking at getting one so I have something to do on a rainy day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've built 4 ARs. Lowers are pretty straight forward. Uppers are a little more difficult. A solid vice, armorer's wrench, hammer and punches are a must. Also invest in a good torque wrench to get the exact foot pounds for the barrel install. It's a good idea to use electrical tape to cover the areas near where you're hammering. Sootch00 has some decent AR build video on youtube.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts