The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Before 3.5 inch chambers came along the 3 inch chambers were killing turkeys and geese fine..It may give you a few more yards and a little more shot..

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Why do you ask? The big issue with some of the earlier 3 1/2 in guns is reliable cycling of lighter 2 3/4 inch loads like for clay shooting. Sometimes a certain brand of ammo will cycle and another would not. Most of the newer models of the last few years do pretty well with that now. You may get unlucky and have a 3 1/2 that is picky or has problems with the lighter loads, where 3" guns that do that are rare now.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
atr said:
a 3 1/2 inch chamber and wish you had gotten the 3 inch?
or vice versa?
No. I bought my 11-87 Supermag because Im wanted a 3 1/2" chamber and am happy with it. Patterns great and no problems.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My Benelli SBE and Rem 870 SM both have 3 1/2" chambers. I would'nt have it any other way.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Regarding the post about no cycling light loads---I had the same problem with my 3" Rem. 11-87. It would not cycle lighter 2 3/4" Winchester loads.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Nope.

Have a BPS 10 gauge 3.5", a Super X2 3.5" and a Super X3 3.5"

No complaint whatsoever with any of them............ other than the BPS could fit me a little better and not kick the LIVING SNOT out of me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a Remington 870 Wingmaster Super Magnum 3.5 inch about 6-8 years ago. Seems to shoot all loads OK. I havent seen these guns advertised in 3.5 from Remington in catalogs or website for the last few years. Has there been troubles that they discontinued them?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Like someone sort of stated already...Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I love my 3 1/2" chambered guns (SBE II and 3 Mossberg 835's) Every one of them shoots and cycles 3 1/2" to 2 3/4" loads equallly well. My Thumbhole 835 turkey slayer puts up patterns with 3.5" hevi 6's and 7's that most guys dream about being able to get in their guns.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
when I went to leave for college my step-dad decided I needed my own shotgun instead of taking his old 20 gauge with me. He bought me a new Mossberg 835 Ultra-mag and sent me off into the world. It does it all, bunnies, pheasants, turkey etc. Having it first I have bought other guns that only take 2 3/4 or 3 inch only because if I need something with a little more umph I just take the 835. Like a mechanic, doctor, or dentist different tools for different jobs. At least thats my reasoning, my wife just says I like buying guns.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a Winchester SX3 and have shot all 3 types of shells. I am glad that I have that option. I think I would have felt sorry if I only had a 3"...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts