The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a camp that borders Tioga State Forest in Troy. Who has bought a camp lately and who did you get to do the paperwork? A realtor, or a lawyer? Can anyone recommend someone from experience in Troy/Canton area to handle paperwork, closing etc. Thanks!!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
My camp is on privately owned, leased land. When I bought my camp, the only paperwork involved was a written receipt from the prior owner. There was no deed or anything like that. I took the receipt to the tax office in Ridgeway and the taxes were put in my name.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Your attorney can do it all, its not real expensive. You have to search the deed for liens, sign a sales agreement, pay the man, and file all of it at the courthouse. The attorney can handle all that, you don't need to pay anyone else. Don't ever buy anything in todays world on a "Quick Claim", or any liens, taxes, troubles etc. are then yours.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You would want a lein and title search done to make sure there was a clear title and no leins on the property. You could have a realtor or attorney do this for you, for a fee.
There are probably also going to be title transfer, property taxes, and other expenses to be prorated over year, and paid at time of settlement. These should be handled by a competent professional.

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Joe. The cabin is one of my best friends parents. Nobody has really used it the past 5 years. We went up a couple weeks ago to look at it, gonna need to gut and redo, but price is right, and it has septic. Last time I was up there my oldest daughter was a newborn, she is now 14. Kids had a blast sledding in the snow when we went to look at it. It's been in their family for a long time. All taxes are up to date, and no liens, but that will be confirmed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, MT we are looking for an "all inclusive" person, be that a local attorney or realtor to handle all the settlement and paperwork/research. Kind of hoping someone on here used one in the Troy/Canton/Blossburg area recently and can recommend them.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
When we bought our place from my parents we used our Attorney. They had all the services we needed to complete the transaction. There was no need to get a Realtor involved as there was no marketing involved and no use paying 7% for them to do nothing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Find a local Title & closing company they are usually owned or associated with experience realestate lawyers & kno local state laws ...
they will do it all for you...
I don't recommend doing any of it yourself...
Not worth the few bucks you save ...

·
Registered
272 Posts
When I bought my cabin I was 6 hrs away and the owner lived in Md. We had a local attorney handle everything and it was all done through the mail, except the final papers and deed I had to pick up in person.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Most often, Title and Abstract companies charge much more to do the exact same things the Attorney does. After you buy and sell some RE, you learn where to save some money. The Attorney does the agreement, closing, title and deed searches, and recording for much less, and there is no grey area, its all the same basic functions. Also, more often than not, Abstract companies are not Attorneys, nor do they have one on staff. Stick with the Attorney of your choice to do it all.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
Most often, Title and Abstract companies charge much more to do the exact same things the Attorney does. After you buy and sell some RE, you learn where to save some money. The Attorney does the agreement, closing, title and deed searches, and recording for much less, and there is no grey area, its all the same basic functions. Also, more often than not, Abstract companies are not Attorneys, nor do they have one on staff. Stick with the Attorney of your choice to do it all.
I agree.....I bought my house straight from the owner, and I went through the attorney for all of it......on a side note, most attorneys don't do the title searches themselves, they hire those out to local people that do them for a reasonable price, and then they review the results, and are able to offer their opinion on the findings........but the attorney is probably the better route to handle this situation, versus using a realtor........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
longcreek thanks, we hope to. Briar we are in a similar situation, we are about 5.5 hrs away and they are several hrs away. Great advice everyone. Gonna call several local to the cabin attorneys this week and keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Tuna - congratualtions on the property. I live only 20 miles northeast of Troy, but I'm not familiar with the local attorneys or Title companies. There is no need for a real estate agent since it was a private sale. As others have said you need either a title company or local attorney to facilitate the transfer. I've used both in the past and have had good experiences with both. I have found the cost to be similar.
No one has mentioned title insurance yet. If you are financing the bank will require it. If you are buying it without placing a lien on the property you may still want to consider it.
Let me explain. Slightly over a decade ago I reached an agreement with an absentee owner to buy her 38 acre parcel. It was a cash deal, no financing required. The parcel had been in the family for 40+ years. Just before closing an ornery neighbor steps up and claims ownership through adverse possesion. If I had acquired title insurance I could have gone through with the closing and let them fight the claim. Instead I had to rely on the absentee owner, who wasn't well versed in the parcel, fight the claim. The sale never went through. The absentee owner still has title, and the ornery neighbor is still ready to pounce.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I have a bunch of great memories from up around Blossburg. My great uncle Al lived up there and had 80ac. And several other family friends and people that worked with my grandfather had cabins up there too. I used to go up when I was young deer and turkey hunting with my grandfather. Still have his old Hillside Rod and Gun license plate. Hope to join Hillside if all goes well with purchase. Will post a pic once everything is done and will post a thread asking about good local contractors and Amish contractors too.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I too bought my second house privately through an attorney. I don't know any in that area but my suggestion would be to call around to a few and ask them if they are their own title company like mine was. If they are their own title company then they more than likely handle closings all the time and will know exactly what they're doing. They also typically do title searches for a lot less when they own the company since they don't have to pay someone else and mark it up.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You may want to have someone, i suppose, the title insurance co., check the who owns the gas/mineral rights. Are they being sold with the property? Also it never hurts to get a water/well test to make sure that the well is good, and a hydraulic load test on the septic system to make sure that it is working properly. A bad septic could prove costly if there are issues.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The hunting land that I own I bought directly from the seller and all we did was use a title company and was not much money. Maybe a few hundred.

Four years ago, I bought a house that was across the street from my land that was listed with a realtor that I did not want any dealings with and has a bad rep so I called another realtor to use on my behalf, I then used an attorney that only cost about five hundred to represent me at settlement because I could not make the settlement. The whole process went very well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts