The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I braved the weather tonight and went out to do some hunting. Almost to the first parking spot and seen some coyote tracks on the road. Well nothing at that spot. 2nd set came across fresh tracks walking in. Nothing came in there. 20 min into the 3rd set and had one at about 50 yrds, I missed with the shotgun
. By the 4th set the snow was coming down so hard I couldn't see 25 feet so I called it a night. Anyone make it out tonight??

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
if deluxin from the house counts, then yes

was chattin with KenBuck and walked out to my side porch, threw on the light and saw a fox. Ran quickly to the basement, grabbed the light, gun, backstabber and took off to the field. 23degrees, 35mph winds and i'm sneaking through the yard barefoot and in a t-shirt!
Saw the bugger 50yds away, tossed up and click.......which reminded me that I obviously need to chamber a round, ha! chambered one, called back to about 75yds and got him in the scope. just eased off the safe and he disappeared. walked out and found a newly discovered fox hole in my field. I always avoid very windy nights, but it looks like that avoidance cost me one this time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think anything would be out but I took time off work to hunt. Got to try out my new Night Eyes headlamp, the thing works good.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Yeah, they are pretty sweet aren't they?! I just bought the extended lithium ion battery from him. It should get me through a full night's hunt, on high power, without an issue. I can't wait to try it out!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need a better light for the rifle but the headlamp worked good with the shotgun last night, now if I could only shoot lol. Got a little coyote feaver.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
w yote hunter said:
I need a better light for the rifle but the headlamp worked good with the shotgun last night, now if I could only shoot lol. Got a little coyote feaver.
I use a Kill Light 250 on my gun. LOVE IT. The combo of that with the headlamp is killer.
it comes with time....if the nerves stop kicking in, then the hunter doesn't belong out there anymore IMO, isn't that why we do it, for the rush?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was the 5th one That I know I've called in this season and the only one I've got a shot at so I was all worked up when I seen eyes. I LOVE predator hunting!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hunted from about 20:00 to 03:00 this morning. First spot sat about 40 yards from the truck with my new Fox Pro, turned it on and in about 90 seconds my buddy says right to your right!! I tell him i cant see it....KILL IT. Then I catch a flash of it full sprint toward the caller at about 50 yard and closing. It crested the little hill and my buddy shot with his new TC Venture and MISSED!!!! That was the first coyote I have ever had charge in, after the shot I stood up and turned my gun light on to see another in the woods at about 100 yards but I was so pumped that I called one in that close I couldnt get my cross hairs settled to take a shot, so that one vanished back into some pines.

Everything else was slow except for the rate that the snow was falling. Going done to a few properties in Allegheny County tonight.

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
Just got in. Lots of fresh tracks but the wind got the best of me. Taking a cat nap doing the chores and back out tonight.....

·
Registered
927 Posts
I went out last night, good conditions cold but good, setup three promising times with nothing coming in. The area I was hunting get hit hard by bird/rabbit dogs all season. oh well

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went out last night for about 2 hours. Got my dad to go with to work the light while I called. First set had a quick set of eyes but couldn't get the scope on it quick enough. Heard a bunch of raccoons fighting. 2nd set started with soft mouse squeaks and had a fox at 150 on the field line. Watched him for maybe 3 seconds run down the field edge towards me and down in to the bush he went. Never saw him after. Heard and saw 4 raccoons fighting in the 2nd spot as well. Windy last night. 5 of us are getting together tomorrow to hunt all night.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Made it out friday night for a while here in Ohio , it was snowing like crazy and blowing like he** . My wife had a get together with her girlfriends at the house so I wasnt worried too much about the weather . But made 4 stands last night nothing came in at any of my sets , headed home about 1130 , the wind chill got down as low as -5 . Coldest night I have hunted so far this season !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts