The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mod. 70 in .243 Win. is a long action. Anyone know why it wouldn't be a short action. It was Mfg. in 1979. I ordered an aftermarket stock and they sent me a short action, but it didn't fit of course. I called Winchester and the guy on the other end of the line couldn't give me a reason and told me it should have been a short action. Can anyone add any logic to this?

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
If it was made in '79, probably can't blame the successor company, USRAC? Perhaps they were having problems at the time and just used up some of their long actions for production?

·
Registered
819 Posts
the older model 70,s only had 1action length -they were all long actions . they just put aspacer in the magazine for the shorter rounds

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Winchester 70's had a different length follower for different length rounds until 1981 I beleive. The mag boxes were spaced accordingly. I have never had a problem with any of them, but installing the wrong follower is possible, then the gun won't operate or close properly. As for most customer service, the guy on the phone probably never shot a rifle !

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Joe the Logger, you got that right, but at least when I called, I talked to someone in the states!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts