The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these type of air operated calls aren't near as popular as your box call, pot calls and diaphragms, but anyone who has put the time in to learn how to run these type of calls knows how deadly they can be. Just another tool for the tool box with a different sound but a sound turkeys really like at times.

This one just went to a turkey slayer in Indiana.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
I never could master the wishbone call to the quality I thought needed for my confidence. I relayed this to the late Roger Latham several years ago as Roger told me he often used the wishbone and encouraged me to keep working on my technique. However, I got discouraged and found I could make good confident calls on a diaphragm call without moving my hands...so I gave up on it....Maybe too soon.

I have heard guys make very good wish bone type calls using the shell of a ballpoint pen....I am not one of them.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Beautiful wingbone, I still kick myself in the butt for selling my Billy Buice trumpets. I called Billy and he looked up my serial numbers and the one was really rare.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I agree these three calls can make a bad day good in the turkey woods for sure. I always have a EZ wingbone / cane yelper. I then pick a trumpet to use. Lately I have been carrying a tube call as well. I am a box call guy first but have found that these callers are very good spring and fall.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've got a couple trumpets but fail to practice enough to feel comfortable with them. I can run a few good yelps or clucks then screw up several in a row! A bad one mixed in is okay, but not several in a row LOL. I do know that turkeys really like that monotone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a tube call that I like to use as a locator on windy or rainy days, it has a lot of volume and makes a decent yelp and keekee run, turkeys will answer it.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always refer folks to a few really good instructionals on how to start and practice. It also helps to start out with a good yelper. They aren't all created equal. Whether it be a trumpet, wingbone or cane yelper, the technique is the same.

Marlin Watkins:

Del Crow:

Curtis Terrell:

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
Sounds great.....Maybe I will dig into that antiquated drawer of things in the basement....

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
After watching the video I have an old Tommy Turpin trumpet somewhere I need to find and put it back in service

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
All excellent tutorials and they should help anyone have difficultly running them. Thanks EZ for posting them up!

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Tony you do awesome work on your wingbones!!

Reactions: fall gobbler

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have two trumpets. A Frank Heglar and an Austy Bott adjustable. Both very good but I find the Heglar easier to run and pretty much spot on. Not bragging by any means but my "good" yelps sound as good as any I've heard. My problem is repeatability, thus I'm reluctant to use them in the heat of the moment. Perhaps I just need to practice more.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Thanks fellas. Oh, and Larry, I would kick your butt for getting rid of those Mr. Billy calls also, lol. He makes great trumpets and they are quite costly.
Tony do you know if Mr. Billy is still alive? For some reason I thought he passed away but couldn't find any info.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sharp looking EZ wingbone, very classy,

I mostly use a wing-bone to hunt with, they are very effective, especially see a difference in response on hard hunted public

Ralph Permar also has a good youtube video on using trumpets, a lot of info on it.

one thing I found that helped in putting together a good sounding string of yelps is when practicing hold the low note as long as you can. Then do the same with the high note, holding it out as long as you can.
After doing this several times try your string of yelps

good practice is the key for any musical instrument, 15 to 20 minutes a day is better than an hour once a week.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have two trumpets. A Frank Heglar and an Austy Bott adjustable. Both very good but I find the Heglar easier to run and pretty much spot on. Not bragging by any means but my "good" yelps sound as good as any I've heard. My problem is repeatability, thus I'm reluctant to use them in the heat of the moment. Perhaps I just need to practice more.

You got two good ones for sure. Never ran a Heglar, but I am very good friends with Austy (I believe he's a member here, but doesn't come on much). I like his adjustable for the range, but I like his traditional style and his "coke bottle" style even better. They run soooo easy!!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
After watching the video I have an old Tommy Turpin trumpet somewhere I need to find and put it back in service
I have one of his as well. It took me quite a bit of time to learn how to use it and make it sound good. It does make for a great Kee-Kee call if I do it right. These make some sweet yelps and clucks and are very different from using my box caller or my glass scratcher.

I've had success with these later in the season via soft clucks and yelps....short set....very short....and wait 20 to 30 minutes before I call again.

Fun stuff!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts