The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes but take a shotgun, its quick with coyotes, they can tell quick, and watch fox have a tendency to come to them, I have had fox out of season lay down and crawl to it, talk about crazy.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I want to use a fawn decoy, might be even better. If I coupd find a fold up one id get it. im not carrying an archery target around lol.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
Yes but take a shotgun, its quick with coyotes, they can tell quick, and watch fox have a tendency to come to them, I have had fox out of season lay down and crawl to it, talk about crazy.
Lol thats really strange! do you put it up on a hill or logging trail? and also is it a fold up or like a full bodie foam decoy?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The 1 with the head looking to the side, not the 1 you have to put the legs on. In full moon nights it works well. We have also shot coyotes setting a turkey decoy with a turkey hen distress call, inside it, sitting about 150 yards minimum away.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have the coyote decoy looking to the side but as many times that i use it never had any thing come into it also used a turkey decoy with cloth wings that i made that spread out to the side and i pin the ends to the ground to give it the hurt look.Ive called a couple in using the turkey but never close enough for the shotgun.i hunt mostly in allegheny county were the coyotes are not as plentiful as the northern countys plus you have to use shotgun or rimfire and the permission is hard to get.

·
Registered
201 Posts
imo there isnt any kind of decoy,scent eliminator,mist or you name it that is going to work the best or at all, how can you determine if the decoy is what actually brought the coyote in where you could see it or get a shot?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ive had good luck on a few occasions with a rabbit decoy. More so if I cant get myself in the ideal position I try and use the decoy as a visual to try and keep eyes off of me.

G

·
South Jersey said:
Misting? thats a term thats new to me,can you descride it ,thanks.
Spray down my decoy and call with scent eliminator spray then squirt out some coyote urine and scent. Might just help 1:20 times but at this point it is worth it to me since I don't have many yotes in my area. Anything to up the odds.

Bought a prey decoy and I could hear the motor running in it so I never used it in the field.

·
Registered
927 Posts
peep site said:
I have the coyote decoy looking to the side but as many times that i use it never had any thing come into it also used a turkey decoy with cloth wings that i made that spread out to the side and i pin the ends to the ground to give it the hurt look.Ive called a couple in using the turkey but never close enough for the shotgun.i hunt mostly in allegheny county were the coyotes are not as plentiful as the northern countys plus you have to use shotgun or rimfire and the permission is hard to get.
There are alot of coyotes in northern allegheny but yea permision is a nessisary, although Iv never had trouble getting it because I just dont ask lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts