The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious anybody else plan to use a 20 ga. for spring gobbler? I am going to hunt with my Benelli Nova more next spring than I have in the past.I have carried it quite a bit but just never had it with me when I bagged a gobbler. I guess I should carry it all the time.

·
Banned
252 Posts
yep,rem 1187 with the shurshot stock,aimpoint 9000 redot,truglo choke at the moment,going to try the new choke from trulock this spring,made for the fed hw 7's.can't wait!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Put one together last year to give it a shot. I got a used mossberg 500 bantam. I bought a Nikon turkey scope in matching camo. Then I researched chokes and bought a Indian creek on many recommendations. Tried a couple different loads and went with the fed hw 7 shot. The gun is a turkey killer. We killed 3 birds with it this past spring. My cousin daughter got her first turkey with it. That alone was worth getting it!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
20ga for Me and the Wife. Indian Creek tubes and Tungsten #9 Handloads.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've been thinking about setting up my 870 with some Federal HW 7s and carrying it some in the spring.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Wow with all the specialties I feel undergunned when I say my single shot. I am not a serious spring gobbler hunter and take it since it is light. I do load hevi-shot 3" shells in it.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Ole' Raspy said:
Yes, sir.....My 20ga. Nova will go as I go.....
And I am here to tell you that is one sweet lill rig.

Both of my girls killed longbeards with a 500 bantam 20 ga last year. It will pattern the federal heviweight's better than my 12ga's

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
i have actually come to prefer a 20 gauge...mine patterns well no problem whatsoever out to 40 yds..thats as far as i'll shoot regardless of gauge.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Fullfan said:
Ole' Raspy said:
Yes, sir.....My 20ga. Nova will go as I go.....
And I am here to tell you that is one sweet lill rig.

Both of my girls killed longbeards with a 500 bantam 20 ga last year. It will pattern the federal heviweight's better than my 12ga's
Same with my oldest daughter and son. 500 bantam youth 20ga. They used the 2 3/4" 7 shot Fed. heavyweights and both killed longbeards with them. Shoots very well.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
My boy has been using a tricked out NEF Pardner NWTF Youth 20 ga since he was 11. He shoots 3" Winchester Supreme #5 shot through a XX-Full Comp-N-Choke tube.

That little gun downright TROMPS gobblers !!!

Makes me wonder why I carry an 8 1/2 lb. 12 ga semi...............

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Strut10 said:
My boy has been using a tricked out NEF Pardner NWTF Youth 20 ga since he was 11. He shoots 3" Winchester Supreme #5 shot through a XX-Full Comp-N-Choke tube.

That little gun downright TROMPS gobblers !!!

Makes me wonder why I carry an 8 1/2 lb. 12 ga semi...............

That's a fine bird there. BTW I use the same loads through a Primos "Tightwad" choke in my Benelli Nova.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really like how lightweight the 20 ga. Nova is compared to my Benelli Super Black Eagle which IMO is still fairly light when compared to other 3.5" 12 ga. semi's. I also REALLY like the lightweight Nova when comparing the weight with my Browning BPS Stalker 24" 10 Ga. That thing is an artillery piece!
I must be getting old. When I was younger I could care less about the weight of my firearm. I still use those two shotguns but if I know I'm going to do much "running and gunning" I carry the 20.

·
Super Moderator
13,964 Posts
Since I started hunting Spring Gobbler a few years back with 20's that is all I use or need...light to carry, less recoil, very good patterns to 40 yards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts