The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody participating in the PGC's "Grouse feather collection survey" or the "Grouse Habitat Survey"?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PAGSPHUNTING...I think they only sent them to hunters on the PGC Cooperators List. The Cooperators List is where the PGC gets their info on flushes/hour in each region. I have not participated in that survey in many years but they still send me the information each year. This year, Lisa Williams, the PGC grouse/woodcock biologist added several surveys. The one that I thought has interesting has if you harvest a grouse, they want you to send a middle tail feather, a few rump feathers and the 4 outer primary feathers on the wing. I believe they will use this information to age and sex each grouse to determine recruitment in this years population.

Doug, I also am not going to do the habitat part as it is too involved but am going to participate in sending feathers. I have about 15 birds I have ready to send in so far.

If anyone is interested, call the PGC office at 717-787-5529 and ask for envelopes and instructions. I think it is a worthwhile survey and they can get a lot of good information from it (I hope). I am surprised it was not on their website though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It would be nice for the PGC to do drumming counts. I don't believe in those paper questionnaire surveys LW sends out to hunters. They should not serve as scientific data. Not a fan!

Other states do drumming counts and have a woodcock banding program. These are the things we should be pushing for. Nice to have a change if you know what I mean...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts