The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last two weekends I've been doing my annual scouting. A lot of walking in specific spots and a lot of driving around the general areas. Most of these areas are areas I know and have hunted for years on and off, one spot is new.
I have to say, I'm getting a little nervous, I'm just not seeing or hearing many birds at all, and this is in several different counties.
Anyone else noticing something similar?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My buddy was scouting and the response to calls was low. However, shock gobbling was off the hook. Seems a boat was blowing its horn on the lake and birds were gobbling like crazy. I have noticed that motorcycles, tractors ,slamming and banging will get responses too. Forget the owl and crow calls, just whack a large branch against a tree . But then you don't want to be calling in a squatch,out of season ya know!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
they just started showing up in the area I hunt. There wasn't any sign last week, but the last couple of days it started showing up along with sightings. I saw a flock of 25 on Friday seems a little late for a flock that size

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The birds just showed up a few days ago to specific areas around here. Late winter breakup? Had been seeeing large flocks up until a week ago.

Shock em with a Ferocious Shock Locator.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have noticed the same thing. Haven't seen a strutter yet or heard a gobble

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
were hot and heavy 4-6 weeks ago near my place. The last week or so, GONE. same as the last two years

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm not so sure that this is a bad thing. The last couple years, most of the gobbling was over and the trees were leafed-out by the second week of the season. Might make things a little more interesting when the all-day hours kick in.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm with you Uncle Nicky. The PGC released this statement, and it was basically a confirmation of what I have been predicting. I know for a lot of us who are absolutely possessed and obsesssed with spring turkey hunting.. it's very easy to spiral into a panic when birds aren't talking much or being observed during what would be their "usual" activity level by this time in the spring. However, this may be JUST what the doctor ordered...

<span style="font-style: italic">PROMISING 2013 SPRING GOBBLER SEASON MAY BE AROUND CORNER

HARRISBURG – The cool spring so far throughout much of Pennsylvania may lead to increased gobbling for hunters planning to take part in the state’s spring wild turkey season.

The state’s one-day youth spring gobbler season is April 20, and will run from one-half hour before sunrise until noon. The general spring gobbler season is April 27 to May 31, with the traditional noon closure for the first two weeks – through May 11, and from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset the remainder of the season, beginning May 13. Hunters who purchase a second spring gobbler season license may harvest up to two bearded turkeys, one per day. Second tags must be purchased by April 26; they’re available from any license-issuing agent.

“Unlike last year’s warm early spring weather, which triggered an early start to gobbling, this year’s cooler-than-normal March and early April have suppressed gobbling activity,” explained Mary Jo Casalena, Pennsylvania Game Commission wild turkey biologist. “The arrival of warmer temperatures will bring more gobbling activity, and just in time for the spring turkey season.

“Our research has shown that, although weather affects gobbling, it does not affect the onset of egg-laying by hen turkeys,” Casalena said. “Rather, photoperiod, the amount of daylight, triggers it. And, similar to previous years, the hen turkeys that are equipped with radio transmitters are on course to begin incubating their nests as the spring turkey season opens. We open the spring gobbler season around the peak of nest incubation to minimize hen disturbance and mistaken kills. Nesting hens are less prone to come to a hunter’s call and abandon their nests.”

Another good sign for turkey hunters is that gobblers appear to have weathered winter well. “Gobblers are in good condition this spring, despite the cold winter, because of abundant mast in most of the Commonwealth – excluding the southwest counties, Casalena noted “That could mean those healthy males may just continue gobbling and looking for mates throughout the hunting season. That will make the coming season a very special time to be afield!”

“Pennsylvania has become a dream state for spring gobbler hunters, both for residents and out-of-staters, and not only because we manage one of the most prolific wild turkey populations in America,” noted PGC Executive Director Carl G. Roe. “The steps we have taken in recent years, such as extending the season to include Memorial Day and adding afternoon hours for the second half of the season, have been warmly received by turkey hunters everywhere. They welcome the opportunity to get afield more and their feedback and photos to the agency suggest they’re making the most of it.”

Hunters are reminded that it is illegal to stalk turkeys or turkey sounds in the spring gobbler season. Given the wild turkey’s keen senses, it’s not a wise move anyway, but more importantly, it makes a tremendous difference for the personal safety of everyone afield. Every year, hunters are shot in mistake for game while approaching a hunter calling for turkeys, and/or callers are shot in mistake for game by stalking hunters.</span>

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've been out 5 times scouting 2 different spots that I killed turkey at in the past and not a single gobble or tom spotted. We actually lined the one area off yesterday 3 of us and didn't hear a peep. Very weird, since we know there should be tom and jakes in the area, heck the farm chickens and crows were going nuts for about a 1/2 and nothing responded.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've actually seen a good bit of activity in the past week. Seen atleast 3 strutters and a couple more gobblers. Even saw a gobbler breed a hen 100 yards from our cabin porch while 2 other long beards paraded around. But only hearing a few gobbles on roost then quiet!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I been out listening every weekend for the last 3 or 4 weeks in diffrent spots in the moutains of Fayette County where I always hear and have killed birds in the past. Finally yesterday was the first time I heard any gobbling. They talked on the limb and that's it.

Was in Greene County at camp on Friday and Saturday for trout season and its a whole diffrent world down there the birds were sounding off in all directions and continued gobbling on and off till atleast 10.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Quiet as a church mouse here, but its always like that this week. If you're lucky you will get one gobble on the limb and if you're really lucky he may gobble twice, but silence is the norm.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Im hearing them every now and then but they seem to gobble once or twice then shut up for the day. Not really going crazy. I went to a piece of property about a half hour north of where I usually hunt and they were gobbling like crazy. Im kinda hoping it stays calm until the first week

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
I was hearing them pretty good about two weeks ago. Now not so much. Hearing roost gobbling and just sporadic gobbling on the ground. Been seeing lone hens walking around for about 10 days now. Here and up at camp.

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
I have been out on the weekends and holiday and what I'm hearing is gobbling right a first light then the gobblers assenble with the hens and shut up. I have seen a number of adult gobblers with harems of hens lately. This weekend I saw a lone gobbler and it appeared he was cruising and he was alone.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What has me concerned is not only am I not hearing much, I'm not seeing any sign in the woods (probably walked 10 miles Sunday) and I'm not seeing birds in fields...it's like they're gone, lol.

I must say that most of my scouting was in the Poconos. It looks like February up there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Maybe they just didn't disperse from their winter groups in your area yet? I know around here they just seemed to split up about 2 weeks ago...they were in huge winter flocks then within a day or two it seemed like small groups of 2-5 birds everywhere. I'm sure they should be somewhere nearby when the season starts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not in my neck of the woods, I've got more birds located than ever before. Cant wait!

This video was from about a week ago now. Just click the pic to listen to it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts