The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been making mock scrapes over the last month, or so. I find a spot in fairly thick cover with a deer trail through it, and then hang a native vine over the scrape for the deer to use as a licking branch. I found very good instructions for this while doing an internet search after last deer season ended! Making the mock scrapes in early summer gives a lot of deer the opportunity to locate it, and all my human scent will be out of the area by the time archery season arrives! I put a trailcam on one of the scrapes during the first week of May and retrieved the camera last weekend. Several bucks and does, and even a fawn have visited the mock scrape already. One buck even bedded under the vine for the entire day on May 6th! Perhaps an unintended consequence if he uses that bed frequently since I have a stand tree about 25 yards from the scrape! I'll add a few pics to the post...in some of the pics, the deer are working the licking branch(vine).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I normally do but for whatever reason this past year the private property I hunt the
Deer have been consistently making scrapes all year long since last August.
Set a blind up before Turkey season by one of the scrapes along with a trail cam and it's been routinely being hit.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
NanookOdaNorth, very nice pictures and good idea. Other than the licking branch and clearing a spot do you do anything else to it or add any scent to it to attract the deer?

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NanookOdaNorth, very nice pictures and good idea. Other than the licking branch and clearing a spot do you do anything else to it or add any scent to it to attract the deer?
NPC, I take a leak under the vine. Be careful not to get any scent on the bottom half of the vine. Also, clear the area around the scrape so deer can circle the vine and make the scrape bigger on their own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just do licking branches i have many spots i hunt an everyone has lic-bran . Inail them everytime they stretch their neck

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Question , would a man made scrape be legal with all the talk about banning feeding and minerals because of the CWD and easing the spread of it. And also the use of deer urine.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Question , would a man made scrape be legal with all the talk about banning feeding and minerals because of the CWD and easing the spread of it. And also the use of deer urine.
Use your own urine, been peeing in scrapes for years and it works. Also ya can't beat the price. (free):jestera:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts