The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an excerpt from Wikipedia's Model 700 Remington article,

"The Remington 700 action is designed for mass production [5]. Despite its cost-effective production methods, it is very strong and reliable, and has a large worldwide following. It is a manually-operated bolt action with 2 forward dual-opposed lugs and a rear safety lug formed by the bolt handle lug sitting in a receiver recess. The bolt face is recessed, fully enclosing the base of the cartridge, The extractor is a C-clip sitting within the bolt face. The ejector is a plunger on the bolt face actuated by a coil spring. The bolt is of 3-piece construction, brazed together (head, body and bolt handle). Due to the bolt's multiple component brazed together construction, the bolt handle is capable of being broken off the bolt body under severe conditions such as extreme cold, very rough use, or an external impact rendering the rifle inoperable. The receiver is milled from round cross-section steel of highest quality".

I've done a little research on the 'net and it seems that bolt handle breakage isn't unheard of in Rem's 700, 721, and 788 rifles.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem I've witnessed with the 700 is that the bolt handles seem to snag on the brush which pops the bolt open and flings your cartridge into the woods. I gave up on 700's for that reason alone.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
You would think the "big Green" would rectify this(no bolt"lock") issue....I guess I'm just used to closing the bolt back.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had this problem several years ago with my model 7 it was the night before bear season. Silver soldered it and it lasted until doe season, I shot a doe went to jack out the round and it fell off again. I sent it back to remington and have had not problems since

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
limbhnger10 said:
You would think the "big Green" would rectify this(no bolt"lock") issue....I guess I'm just used to closing the bolt back.
You can thank the liability morons for this one.
The safety lever on new models was redesigned on the two position safety so that the bolt could be open while the safety was on.
It's a easy fix, if you can find the parts, just replace the safety lever with a old style. The cut out in the bolt is still there, as far as I know, that locks the bolt in place when the safety is on.
The problem is finding a old style safety lever, they don't make them anymore, all replacement safeties are new style. I managed to find one on eBay a couple of years back but haven't seen any lately. You may be able to find a good gunsmith that can make one or at lease alter your existing safety so that the bolt locks.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I saw it happen once back in the late 80s on a 308,
but it hasnt turned me against M700s. Alot of hoopla
has been started on the extractor also, but I think
alot of it is the bandwagon theory.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Never heard of this before. I've got 2 700's never had anything go wrong. All my huntin buds have them most more then 1 never had any trouble . If their good enough fo bob foulkrod their good for me...later

·
Registered
378 Posts
Coureurs De Bois said:
limbhnger10 said:
You can thank the liability morons for this one.
The safety lever on new models was redesigned on the two position safety so that the bolt could be open while the safety was on.
I too prefer the old-style safety that locked the bolt. It's also my opinion that those earlier triggers could be tuned safely for a light, crisp trigger pull that rivaled custom triggers today. I'm not saying it was as good as a Jewell trigger, but it wasn't bad after you adjusted it with a screwdriver. The new ones I've felt in the last few years are horrible interpretations of what a trigger should be.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
The problem with Wikipedia is that it is user defined. Therefore, you could make a new entry about the 700 saying that every other round fired in them is a misfire, or that the bolt handle actually melts under heavy fire, and no one would know any better, if they weren't knowledgable of guns.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But further research on my part has proven the validity of this Wiki article. 700's really do have this problem. I still think the lost cartridges due to brush grabbing the bolt handle is an even bigger problem though.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Build a better mouse trap and then they'll build a better idiot.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I've hear this a number of times over the last 50+ years since the M700 was introduced. never saw one.
thoughts. most turn bolt guns are two piece bolts just like the m700 so, it is the same problem in most guns.

The military uses m700 actions (m40) as the blot action combat sniper rifles, don't hear about it in the militaryn and if it was a big problem in the rouogh enviroment of combat, dropping, dragging and jeep/Hvee riding doubt it will be any problem in the woods of Pa.

My oldest model 70 is from 1962 (barrel just got shot out) and never had the problem for me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Never seen any broken bolts on the 700's, but like Moosehunter said, I also have had issues with the bolt on my 700 opening in the brush and dropping a shell. I prefer the bolt to lock when in the safe position.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts