The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody hunts or target shoots 30-40 Krag. I have three that on occasion take to range. If anbody has some favorite loads to share please do so.Got a few,but want to expand .

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Killed my first deer with my Dad's (and it was his dad's) Krag. Dad still has it. My brother has one too. I load for them. But, I honestly cannot tell you what the load is. I generally toss a moderate charge of (I'm thinking) IMR-4064 in under a 180 gr. SGK or Winchester Silvertip. Pretty much, anything shoots well in a Krag with a shiny bore. And no use to push any limits. The Springfield is not a particularly strong action. If you need more power, there's always the .308, .30-06 or .300 Mags.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
iu have an 1898 krag that was my grandfathers and he always told me that when i completed my hunter safety class it would be mine. i havent shot it, but i really really wanna take it hunting. i cant believe how smooth the action is for it being over 100 yrs old!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
I have an unaltered 1896 Krag. I shoot IMR3031 and a Hornady 180gr RN. Great accuracy, mild recoil, easy on the throat.

I shot one deer with it, a doe, just because I wanted to hunt with the old gun. It did a SUPERB job on the deer.

I have to check log data for the charge weight, but I know I'm shooting 3031 and the Hornday 180gr RN.

Oh, and if you're reloading for a Krag, I STRONGLY recommend you partial full-length size. This will greatly increase your brass life.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I hunted with an 1898 this season. The barrel is full length but the stock was cut down. Great shooting gun.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
A load that works well in several Krags is 45 gr of IMR 4350 behind a 180 Rem RN Core Lokt in a W-W case with a Fed 215 primer....produces sub-MOA groups in a Ruger Number 1 and a Number 3....also safe and accurate in a Winchester M1895....

Load is 1 grain below max in the Hodgdon manual....

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
I have an all original 1896 rifle and it is a awsome!! Light, balances well and moderate recoil and accurate too boot. Much more of a pleasure shooting than my brothers Enfeild 30/06. His is actually more accurate, but beats the poo out of ya.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
My 1896 was likely rebarreled before being put in storage, as it has a great bore and a 1902 model rear sight.

At any rate, it's a shooter. Probably the best of my milsurp guns, which include 1903's, M1's, m1917, a Swedish Mauser, and a Swiss K31.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have a M1898 cutdown with a S&K insta-mount, and a 2-7 Leupold. Hunted a day or 2 with it this year. Shoots a lot better with 180 gr bullets than with 150 gr. I'm loading 180 gr Hornady over H4350.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, thanks for your post.What caught my eye was the S&K insta-mount. Are you satisfied with it? Is that the kind that doesn't need tapping? Been thinking of using one,but need a second opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts