The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I are considering a turkey hunting trip to the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky. Anybody else ever done this? We are curious about your experiences, as this would be a DIY hunt with no chance to scout. My guess is we would be running & gunning the ridgetops.

Also, are snake boots a requirement in KY? Never hunted out of PA, and have never felt the need for them here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I'll first qualify my comments by saying that my experience is confined to the northern 1/3 of the NF.

IMO, snake boots are not a requirement, but that's not to say you can't see a snake there. Copperheads are not uncommon. However, I've been there (DBNF) four times for the youth turkey season and have never seen a snake on those trips. Depending how late into the season you are going, warmer weather would increase the likelihood of an encounter.

Re: "running & gunning the ridgetops" - - You WILL need a quality topo map or a gps with detailed topo lines. Most of the ridges in that area are steep-sided buggers, and many are rimmed by vertical cliffs and rock outcroppings. This makes the "running" part difficult, as ridges there seldom run in orderly, consistent directions, but are jumbled and cut almost haphazardly by deep & steep hollers. I guess what I'm saying is that you need to do some serious map study and pre-plan your run & gun routes, or you'll spend far more time backtracking and/or rock climbing than you will hunting.

That topo map will also be invaluable while running and gunning, as I've often heard birds that were 1/4 mile away, but may as well have been on the moon, unless they picked up and flew most of that distance to me. Some places you simply can't cross the hollers, and "going around" is a hike of a couple hours.

As I think I mentioned in the other thread, I haven't hunted during the regular spring season there, so I can't comment on hunting pressure, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I have already started studying the topo maps and have a gps. As far as running & gunning, I didn't mean literally running, but burning shoe leather trying to locate birds.

I was thinking of heading to the southern part because I read on another forum that the northern part gets hit pretty hard by the Ohio hunters.

Thanks again and more comments are welcome!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I knew what you meant by "running". I just found that, in the areas I've hunted, following ridge tops is not the greatest strategy, simply because they are tough going, unless you are on the odd one that has an actual trail on top. From what I've heard, further south you get into more strip mine coal country, so the terrain may be different there.

We always had a good time and found birds, so I'm sure not trying to discourage you. Good luck!

·
Registered
943 Posts
No info from hunting, but I think Cave Run Lake is surrounded by the DBNF & we definitely hear birds there. Maybe by boat would be a good choice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've hunted there a few times and had great success hearing birds and I killed one of my best easterns ever. We hunted near the TN line in some really beautiful country.

ng270 is on point as far as the terrain issues. It is VERY rugged and steep. I'm a run and gun guy as well...and I was dead after 3 days of hunting down there.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Never hunted it but used to go to archery shoots south of Lexington and I can tell you that part of it it as rugged and steep as any place you will find in Pa.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm going to make the trip down there also this year. I have a deer lease in KY and was going to head out there in the spring and then over to DBF which is close by and see if i can fine some turkeys. I'll be in the northern part. From what i heard the turkey population is fairly good up there but not like it use to be. It should be fun time.

ng270, could you point me to a good area to start?

·
Registered
273 Posts
In the southern portion near the Tennesse line...beware of banjo music.....

There are some places and people down there that would have fit very well into the movie "Deliverance"

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Mustang, your first pic looks just like a view along one of the roads I've hunted in the northern part of the NF. And the rocks in the second pic are exactly what I was talking about.
Apparently, there's not a great difference in terrain from north to south in the DBNF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
fishdoctor said:
No info from hunting, but I think Cave Run Lake is surrounded by the DBNF & we definitely hear birds there. Maybe by boat would be a good choice.
Yes, that lake is surrounded by the DBNF. To see an interactive high resolution topo map for the Cave Run Lake area, click the link below to start Gmap4 in your browser and show the default world map.

Then click Menu ==> Search and enter Cave Run Lake KY
in the search window at the top of the screen.

Then click Terrain (upper right corner) and select “t4 Topo High”.

If you want to make a GPX file before you head into the woods click Menu ==> Draw and Save.

For more info on using Gmap4 to make a GPX file please visit the homepage and download the Help file. Then search the Help file for the section titled "Make a map with Gmap4 and save it as a GPX file"

Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

·
Registered
708 Posts
You guys got me looking into Kentucky hunting. There is some cheap land there! Now if this power ball thing would work out I'd be OK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts