The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
live in lancaster county Pa.. i hunted foxes a couple of times with minimal luck. i wanted to start up hunting coyotes.. my buddy lives up north alittle.. i have heard coyotes at night couple of times when i was up there... i didnt no if they have a den they return back to every night during winter? i was wonderin if my buddy goes out this week an locates some at night.. will they be in area a week later?
also do they have a territory that they hunt in ? or do they just travel till they find food?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'll tell you what little I think I know.

1) Was told this year that coyotes do not den up, (except females with pups)...that they bed down, (like deer), above ground, not in a den like I have always believed.

2) Have a book on hunting the Eastern Coyote...Bechtel I believe is the author but I am too lazy to go upstairs and check. He says to howl a half hour before dark until dark to find coyote bedding areas. Once found, they can be hunted year after year. After dark, coyotes patrol "their territory" traveling anywhere between 2 and 39 miles in a night.

Don't know how true any of it is, but that's the skinny....good luck.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you hear coyotes in within 500y of your position you are in the right spot. If you do locate them dont try getting too close because they will spook. they can hear a distress call from a very long ways off and given your set up proper and there intrested, 300yards is nothing to them. although iv got seriously close like 50y before they detected me... not that I knew tgey were there but anyway good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts