The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wooded valley running behind my house and the last 2 weeks i have yelled at a group of teenagers back there shooting pellet guns at birds and squirels towards houses. last eve i caught one in valley shooting at a bird facing my house. what can be done about this? if i call my local police nothing will be done cause they aren't breaking any laws shooting air rifles. I haven't found any dead birds or squirels yet but i did catch them shooting at animals yesterday. what do you wco's suggest? if i call my local wco by the time he gets in the woods the kids will be gone.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not a wco but my advise would be to ask them to not shoot towards my house and then I would calm down and and pull that stick out

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Anytimehunter. your saying its ok for these kids to shoot at birds and squirels no matter what the law is? Hope you don't have any kids to teach your ethics to

·
Registered
441 Posts
You said you have no proof what there shooting if there not shooting robins or cardinals there probably not do anything wrong you should be glad there not shooting drugs then you might have something to complain about. And as far as questioning my ethics Just shows how judgmental you are without proof of anything

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suggest you reread my post. I said i caught them shooting at a bird last eve. i haven't walked the valley looking for dead animals that they shot but it doesn't take a genius to figure out what they are shooting at up in trees.

My concern is my daughter being out back and these kids shooting at birds and not caring where they are aiming and someone getting hurt not to mention the poaching they have commited or at the least tried to commit

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Find their parents and settle it that way. Or, when you see them out in the woods go get them and and have them take you to their parents. Or, when you see them again go out and have a nice little chat with them.

This seems like a situation that could be easily handled without getting the authorities involved.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I understand the concerns for your property and your daughter, however not all birds are protected species such as English sparrows and European starlings theses birds have no closed season (pg21) of your hunting manual. Labeling people as poachers without proof is a serious accusation.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Unprotected or not, pellet guns not legal to harvest anything other than targets in Pa. in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I guess he did have a right to question my ethics because 20 yrs ago when I was a teenager I hunted rats,mice and birds on the family farm with a bbgun but the gun safety I learned with that old Daisy is invaluable. I still think a talking to is more in line for these boys than calling the law.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
20 years ago when your were told by a neighbor not to do something you shouldn't you didn't do it again, were resepctful and hoped he didn't tell your parents. Now the young folks tell you to go away and if you do speak to the parents they tell you the same............. If you tell a kid don't do something- like shoot an air gun towards the houses and he keeps doing it call the police,wco whoever... once you warn them and they ignore it perhaps go to the parents first, then if nothing is still resolved keep calling the police, wco's whoever until it is..... don't really think he needs to pull a stick from anywhere myself... Keystonepaul

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thats true 20yrs ago our neighbors had the go ahead to enact punishment the same as my parents did. As far as the stick I think we all could use a little stick removal nowadays everyone is way to uptight about everything but lawyers will do that to people

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
we all know pellet guns are not legal for game and all that and if they are shooting "at" your house there sure is a problem. you know what all the legal answers are.
me i would walk down and have a chat with them explain my concerns, buy them a box of bb's , give them a little safety talk, through the course of the conversation find out their names and explain to them again that if i see them shooting toward any houses that i would be getting ahold of their parents and the police. you will get more flys with sugar than vinagar.
it wasn't legal when we all "bird hunted either". i know its not legal and i'll get flamed for this post but i'd rather see kids doing that and teach them a little safety in the process than see them inside playing games or doing dope.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Call your local WCO, I highly doubt he will cite the boys, but he will talk to them and the parents.

·
Registered
378 Posts
people wonder why the hunting population is reducing everyday. We have lost 25% of the Pa. hunters in the last 20 years. We need to ENCOURAGE kids to shoot ( safely, but shoot none the less) instead of turning them off to the sport. How about just suggesting a place or a direction which they can do it safely- surely there is a safe direction in a wooded lot, isn't there?. Or one day we will not have a forum like this to chat about because there will be no hunting in Pa. Just my .02

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
We need to encourage legal shooting and huntng. Not shooting at random towards houses,and shooting squirrels and songbirds. I am just curious where the parents are.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Keystonepaul said:
20 years ago when your were told by a neighbor not to do something you shouldn't you didn't do it again, were resepctful and hoped he didn't tell your parents. Now the young folks tell you to go F.. yourself and if you do speak to the parents they tell you the same............. If you tell a kid don't do something- like shoot an air gun towards the houses and he keeps doing it call the police,wco whoever... once you warn them and they ignore it perhaps go to the parents first, then if nothing is still resolved keep calling the police, wco's whoever until it is..... don't really think he needs to pull a stick from anywhere myself... Keystonepaul
As sad as this post is to read, it's all too true. Talking to the kids while they're shooting MIGHT work, but it's just as likely to get you shot at. I'd be in favor of calling the WCO and letting him/her in on the situation. I think it would be a safe bet they won't get in any real trouble over it unless they persist, and having someone "official" talk to them will have more of an effect than just some random guy. The WCO might be able to give the kids (and their parents) some other ways or places to legally shoot. Maybe compliment them on their ability, and suggest they join a local sportsman club, 4H, things of that nature. Just my thoughts....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts