The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of a person who gave up all hunting because of her disabilities. She would like to get back to hunting but can not have the rifle against her shoulder because of any recoil, be it a .22 or larger. Shooting sticks would help her hold the rifle up but how can we keep the rifle from touching her shoulder? Padding in between the rifle and shoulder is not an option. All ideas will be given consideration. Thanks to all !
Hal

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Can she learn to shoot left handed?

And I'm not trying to be a wise guy, just looking at a possible simple solution.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What about a Contender or Encore handgun with a bipod on sand bags. a .243 really would not jump around that much at all, especially if you were to fit some type of extended hand grip to make the bottom od the grip (below her hand) be up against a sandbag. Of corse she would have to be in some type of blind or something where you can have a set up with shooting bench type thing.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Many clay shooters use a hydraulic system to manage recoil. Don't know if that would be any help. If recoil from a 22 is too much I would think you may have a difficult time with this one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. Yes, this is a tough one. We just recently found out she may have to give up any and all thoughts of hunting. Maybe a blow gun? Just being silly! She is interested in learning about outdoor photography so that would mean she can be outdoors with me.She was my hunting partner for several years and I don't like hunting now days without her. But a blind and a camera should help a lot.
Hal

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Check in now and then. I've had temporary disabilities that prevented me from hunting, for a time. Over time nothing was permanent.
There were times I couldn't take recoil or recoil for a long time on one shoulder. So I switched shoulders to shoot. And I remember them like it was last month, but some were over thirty years ago.
The hardest thing for well people is to really understand a disability. And some disabilities do become permanent for some.
There were times I went to a fishing rod. Not a lot of recoil there. And became a darn good fisherman.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too much trauma to her upper body so she can't have any vibration type stuff from equipment. And it's permanent.
Crossbow? Hmmm......Possibility. Tripod to set the forearm on and a support under the stock.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Pistol is a good idea, I hv contender & with wide variety of barrel selections
& grips you could get felt recoil & vibrations down to zip...put it /lock it down on
Promos stick

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont know of the legality of this but could she use a shooting rest that hold the gun and absorbs the recoil while allowing her to sight in using a cell phone mounted on the scope for aiming....She could also use hydrolics to pull the trigger.

Just thinking outside the box here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oilcrk and Ed---You guys have me thinking good thoughts. She has a Contender, 44 mag, she used to hunt with but the barrels are rather costly now for us to consider going with a smaller caliber barrel. I'm thinking shotgun and crossbow. I have both. Crossbow on a Primos stick and a support under the stock just might work very well. Also archery season would be a better time outdoors for her.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hal R said:
Too much trauma to her upper body so she can't have any vibration type stuff from equipment. And it's permanent.
Crossbow? Hmmm......Possibility. Tripod to set the forearm on and a support under the stock.
Thanks everyone!
Hal, The "Caldwell Co" makes a "DeadShot_FieldPod" it looks like with a few well placed straps you can stop any rearward recoil of the firearm. A crossbow or a pistol are also worth looking into. Hope this helps. Hate to see someone sit on the bench when it's game time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I'm not on the computer much as you can tell by the infrequency of my posts. We just found out she will be going for more surgery in the near future. This will put a stop to all her future hunting plans pretty much forever. No complaints--just how it has to be. So I thank all of you very much for your replies; even the one about a slingshot. I really did enjoy that one! See ya'll on other posts!
Hal

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know this ia a little old, but what about an air powered rifle? I'm not sure about the recoil on a large caliber airgun though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I work for Witt Machine Muzzle Brakes. Im not trying to pitch just our product but I want to inform you on all muzzle brakes. Muzzle brakes, when made properly can reduce a lot of recoil. Personally, our muzzle brakes have been proven to reduce up to 60% of the recoil of your rifle. It also can reduce muzzle rise as well so that you can rapid fire your rifles while your sights stay on target. I know it is not ALL but you would be surprised with how well our Witt Machine muzzle brakes can help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
With a little creative stand/blind building, I'm sure you could set something up with a Caldwell lead sled. I have a 223 shooting nosler partitions that doesn't even budge the sled when fired. She'd just be aiming and pulling the trigger. It would definitely limit mobility, but I garentee I could set someone up on a deer with it if I had to.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have shoulder problems and can't take recoil, so what the doctor recommended was to have my son, who is a very good shot, shot and sight the gun in (7mm-08 with reduced loads) and when it comes time for me to shoot at a deer the one shot won't hurt me that much because you most likely won't feel it in the excitement. just my take and it worked well last year. ps. I tried a lead sled and couldn't do it but that 1 shot was ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts