The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out tomorrow morning with WayneCtyHunter for a few set ups for Coyotes. We've never called in the early hours and was wondering if any of you can offer some tips.

As for as types of calls, I was planning on using distress calls, Should I Scratch this idea and use Vocalization calls? And if so, how long should the sequence be and what should I expect if one is in the area?

I have called in three yotes so far, One with rabbit distress with a Johnny Stewart cassette caller, One with my Double Whammy Mouth Call, And one with A finch Distress with my Fox Pro Scopion. Light man on two of them, We killed one and missed one. And I shot under a yote this year with the finich distress (peaking over the gun, Way too excited that a yote came in). Two of the yotes came in hard and one came within approx 10 mins. What can I expect with vocalizations?

My equipment will consist of Fox Pro Scorpion, Randy Anderson Double Whammy,Small Squeaker (from a dog toy), Rabbit Decoy, Remington 7600 in 30.06 (only one I trust right now until I sight my 223 in again)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This morning we went to a good spot, probably one of my better setups. Didn't have any action, but I know that I can pull a coyote out with some hard work.
I Just need to perfect my system. Looking to add a shaking decoy to my setups if anyone has recommendations?

Justshoot: I thought someone was going to throw their two cents in. I am no expert. I've called a fair amount of animals in but killing is another story. There's always someone thats better than you, I keep an open mind and listen to any good advice.

Banned
This is a great question - and one I would have liked to see some feedback on. I ahve ahd several coyotes i caught on cam recently - all between the hours of 330 -630 am. I have been hunting at night. Tried 5 am to sunrise the other day with no action seen... I was using turkey distress with a turkey decoy.

When I was out one evening last week, at 900 pm, i heard some yipping in the distance but saw nothing and didnt hear any more vocals.... I went quiet while i waited... maybe i should have called....

Oh well, thats why its hunting not shooting I suppose. Would love to hear your experiences or others input...

Registered
Ted..i would have called...and then if they started moving towards me...I'd hit the cottontail distress and if they hang up...go to the pup distress...I'm no expert...but thats what i would have done...try getting in there at 4;30 am and hunt till 9 or so..i give my sets 45mins up to an hour in Pa..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.