The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking out the Eagle Seed Company forage soybeans.

http://www.eagleseed.com/

Seems like it would produce a lot of tonnage but it's pretty expensive seed for a small plotter. lol Most varieties are in the $70-80 dollar range. The pic on their home page just blew me away so I had to check it out.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
One of the guys on here, Mike Baker, bought some a couple years ago. Not sure exactly what his thoughts were on them. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

Buddy of mine bought them one time, but went back to regular soys. I think it was the expense of them.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
As Dutch said I've planted these beans on about two acres the past two seasons. I've never come close to what I've seen in their pictures as well as the successes others over on the QDM forum have had with them. They weren't a complete failure by any means though.

I've never planted regular beans so I don't have anything to compare them to. I've decided not to plant them this year as I don't think it's worth the extra cost. The shipping is killer. Others might have better luck than I did though. Here is a picture of last year's beans. Note the height of the beans in the exclusion cage.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Holy crap Bake, you got a lot of groundhogs eating yer beans.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Dutch said:
Holy crap Bake, you got a lot of groundhogs eating yer beans.
I know you are joking but you'd be amazed how many groundhogs can find a bean patch in the middle of nowhere. They were summarily executed by the dozen:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I tried the Big Fellow last year. The deer would not let them grow but that is not the products fault. So I am going back to regular soybeans this year since if they are only going to be 6-8" high I may as well pay only 1/2 the cost.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Read an article in Quality Whitetails where they planted more soybeans per acre depending on deer densities. I think they were up to 75 lbs per acre of soys in high density areas, but don't quote me on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts