The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Rhino makes a great choke tubes. The only downside is they are more expensive than the expensive choke tubes.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that and was trying to figure out how good they were for $108. when most others are less than $70

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
A few people I know and a lot of people on here with 835's use the Primos Jellyhead and Hevishot with excellent results. Not taking anything away from an excellent Rhino tube, but you might want to save a few bucks and try a Jellyhead first.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Spot on to all three of you guys!
The darn Jellyheads offer the best bang for the buck. I have not had a shotgun that they did not outperform every factory choke and many times they do as well as the $60-$70 chokes.
Another great reasonably priced choke for the 835 is the Star Dot choke.
I have had excellent consistent success with Indian Creek and Pure Gold choke tubes in many different shotguns. Those two are my go to favorites.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
I've had awesome results with a .670 Pure Gold in my old 835 and my now carried 935 with 3.5" 2 1/4 OZ. Hevi 6 shot..bronze hull.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Have to say I have a rhino in my x-2 and a indian creek bds in one of my 11-87's. The rhino puts up great # with the #6 and #7 hevi shot. But so does the indian creek. If I had it to do over, I would not have bought the rhino.

But remember every gun has it's own taste...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I second Fullfan on rhino. I bought one and found it to be ok in my 11-87 but nothing special. I got better results with a hevi shot choke. Wish I would have tried a jellyhead. Sounds like it gets the job done.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Have one in my Browning Gold and have never missed a bird...shooting nitro 4-5-7 hevi shot.

Scott

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My Beretta 391 has had a Rhino in it for almost 10 years and I've always had good results with it. I do think that today you're better off dealing with one of the companies that will exchange for different constrictions until you find what works best. Rob Roberts at Gobbler Guns comes to mind.

·
Registered
24,000 Posts
a buddy of mine at work uses the rhino choke tube and their shells. he shot a sheet of writing paper at 40 yards and there wasnt a spot on that paper where you could put a dime with out it touching a bb hole.

i use the carlsons dead coyote choke in my mossberg 935 with 3 inch #5 shot and do almost as good as he does. he has a much tighter pattern due to the special blend shotshell he uses but my choke only cost 40.00

works on predators too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts