The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on getting my boundry line of 54 acres surveyed soon , and currently getting quotes for the work. Two are back so far, both in the same price range.

My question is, what sets the better surveyors out from the rest of the pack?

What should i shy away from? Or look for? Or just go off prcie?

All corner stakes have already been marked in past surveys and subdiviisons, but what i really am looking for is the boundries run and marked up over the hill ...Offically. Will having good corner stakes lower the cost of what needs done?

And not to downplay an official survey that will hold up in boundry disbutes, but can a person who knows how to use a good GPS get me within a foot or two of the lines? I am not cutting timber or anything, but my property is a rectangular in shape and there is a spot or two that seem less wide than they should be. Especially when I transfer the boundries over an aerial map and compare it to where folks think the lines are now

I know nothing about surveying or GPSs, but would not mind doing a dry run within a foot or two before paying to have it done offically, I mean it could bite me too....although I doubt it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If:

"All corner stakes have already been marked in past surveys and subdivisons"

then you should be able to find the metal corner stakes.

If you are going to get it surveyed, make certain that the proposals include placing permanent corner markers or metal stakes. You can request that metal stakes be placed every 100/200/300 feet.

After it gets staked make certain that you are going to get a printed survey or plot plan, and have them calculate the area. Compare that area (in acres) to the acres in your property tax records, they should all agree.

I know someone who thought they had 17 acres and it was staked out at 15. Never found the missing acres. They didn't want to pay the surveyor to go get all of the adjoining lot deeds and resurvey everyone.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe!! Good info...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you have the corners and know how to use GPS, you should be able to find the old blazed boundaries (very typical in the wooded counties) during the winter when visibility is best. If the land was recently timbered, I would almost guaranty that the boundaries can be found and tracked.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I would also inform my neighbors, about what I was doing, to keep peace in the neighborhood. They might know some landmarks that would help you do it with the GPS. A good snowfall and a couple people with orange hats on, goes a long way in running a straight line.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you should be able to find the old blazed boundaries (very typical in the wooded counties) during the winter when visibility is best. If the land was recently timbered, I would almost guaranty that the boundaries can be found and tracked.
I already did that last winter. That is when I notice that all of sudden the line dips in quite a bit where the corner of the field is. I mean you can see the timbered line all the way up the hill then the corner of this field just in...

Right now they treat it as theirs.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quoteA good snowfall and a couple people with orange hats on, goes a long way in running a straight line. ] [/quote]

RW, it is funny you say that, after spending the day trying to to it alone last winter with a orange jacket, i said the same thing last winter, that i wish I had about 4 more people....it would at least help me with the short lines about 275 yards....the up over the hill lines would be toughe as they are 7/8the os a mile long over hilly terrain.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
With 54 acres, a few feet either way from the line won't matter. That is why I said to get your neighbors involved. If that one neighbor is farming some of your land, he would be a friend for life, when you tell him to keep on farming it, you don't mind. If he's hunting it, he should take the hint and stop hunting there.

when I had my 13+ acres surveyed, two sides of the field were a few feet beyond my line into the neighbors woods. Figure this was the result of the prior owners, cutting the brush back over a few hundred years. No problem along the creek or the road.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind what are the prices you're being quoted? We have a slight bit less than 50 acres and are looking to get it surveyed... Wonder what it would cost? A PM is fine if you don't want to make the number public... Thanks!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$3250 up to $4000, with some variables thrown in there like "pending on terrain" etc...

All have boundries marked and maps done, and pretty similar take aways.

If that one neighbor is farming some of your land, he would be a friend for life, when you tell him to keep on farming it, you don't mind. If he's hunting it, he should take the hint and stop hunting there.
My trouble is not with the neighbor, he is a great guy and we both allow access to each others property...however he is allowing another neighbor from down the road to farm and cut hay and that guy complained to him when I mowed my ATV trail along the hay fields edge (which I believe is my property for one and had permission to make the trail even if it is not # 2) then this same guys cut big drainage ruts across the top of the field that empty into my land and cross this trail making it and another trail there a mess.

So unfortunately the time has come to make sure I can enforce my own rights and get the mark running across that fie1ld correctly. They mow the field in a perfect rectangle up from the road, HOWEVER the common sense boundry line from existing markers and maps would not be that way at all as the boundry lines are on sharper angles from the road, and the corner of that field along with my ATV trail would all be on mine for sure.

I have gained confidience in my theory using an aerial map...time to make it official I guess
. I will be notifying the good neighbor, and be waiting til after the rifle season to have this done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts