The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in hunting elk in either 2010 or 2011 and would like referrals. My buddies are either broke from the bad economy or not into traveling and so I am on my own. Anyone have a suggestion for an outfitter? Someone you've actually hunted with?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Depending on what you are looking for I would recommend STC Outfitters, Cloud Croft NM, http://www.stcoutfitting.com/ Steve is a hard working, class act that lives where he hunts. Steve's elk hunts are not "pack in" (horses) but you can hear elk bugle from the bunk house. I have a nice 330 6X6, and my dad has a nice 275 5X5 from the same trip.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
You beat me to it, Coonhound. I was going to suggest Larry be contacted. http://www.premierhuntingadventures.com/
I met Larry at the Harrisburg show last year and he does have some great hunts available at great prices. He also sponsors this site.

Let me add a couple of outfitters I have hunted with and would recommend unconditionally.

Garvey Brothers- Website

I hunted with Stan Garvey back in 1999. His outfit is located near the town of Nucla, Colorado, and it is in a limited draw area. That is the only drawback. You have to apply several years to get enough preference points to go, but if you have that kind of time, it is a great hunt in the Uncompahgre of Louis Lamour fame.

Heaven's Gate Outffiters- Website

I have hunted with Darwin Vander Esch and his folks several times. Elk licenses are not draw, but over the counter in Idaho. You can do a horseback trip and hunt out of tent camps or you can do a more "civilized" hunt and stay in their bunkhouse. They do have elk.

Star Valley- website

I have hunted both elk and mule deer with George Herold's outfit. George runs a gun shop in Waynesboro during the off season. His hunting territory is in the Bridger Teton Wilderness, and it is a horseback hunt. The elk hunting takes place in the high country. This is also a true western hunt, but you will stay in camp in comfortable wall tents and be fed in a dining tent.

If you want to hunt elk with a rifle during the rut, maybe British Columbia would be more to your liking. I have never hunted elk there, but there are a few outfitters who have decent elk populations that I do know about.

I have also hunted elk in New Mexico with Milligan Brand Outfitters. If you want my take on them, pm me.

If you want to know anything more about any of my hunts, drop me a pm.

·
Registered
220 Posts
All depends on how much you want to spend. I've hunted in BC and Montana. I was a little dissapointed in the BC one but the Montana one was a hard working outfitter. If you are interested I can give you more details.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Ive hunted Montana and Idaho with the same outfitter, the terrain is pretty rough out there and the montana tags are through the roof!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Look up Big M Outfitters in Philipsburg, Montana. Like Smtn 10pt said, MT tags are expensive. They have come down this year a little from 1500.00 to 1250.00. Hopefully they keep dropping.

·
Registered
266 Posts
http://www.ucomontana.com/
I have hunted from Upper Canyon Outfitters Jake and Donna McDonald. They have an imaculate main lodge and Cabins to rent. They put out a hot Breakfast, Lunch and excellant dinners everyday. You can pack a lunch at breakfast time and take it with you. They do guided and unguided hunts. I went out in 2007, Jake and Donna have two booths at Harrisburg. One for hunting and one for fishing and vacations. You'ill be hunting up to 9000ft. I think the ranch is about 5000 ft. We saw whitetails, mule deer,pronghorn, elk and big horn sheep. They do have shiras moose and mountain goats. You can book a "hunt" for buffalo. The buffalo are not truly wild. I had a great time and wish I could afford to go back.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Pacific Mountian Guides I hunted with Otto Kulm and saw a ton of elk in Oregan he hunted the area in his younger years and then moved to Valdez AK but still guides in Oregan i killed a 346" bull 2 of my friends went with him and got over 300" bulls great guy he has two 85,000 acre plots to hunt.He has landowner tags so you dont have to draw. Any questions pm me. GOOD LUCK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts