The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any interest in going to the florida keys and doing some scuba diving ?? maybe some fishing ??

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
i have some interest but dont scuba, my ears are too sensitve. would be up for some fishing, i never been to the keys but lived in florida for awhile

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello
sorry tater i already went down and back about a month ago ,did catch a nice king mackeral

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you go on a charter or rent your own boat,or bring a boat? I love fishing there,used to dive about 20 years ago,thinking about brushing up and going again,did you do any diving on that trip? I usually fished out of marathon.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i did one dive trip,, 2 tanks ,, took a half day fishing trip for tarpon .but captain said too early in year not manyy around so we went out and got some king mackeral
i was in marathon also ,if i go back next year will wait until about now or a week or so later in march should be better for tarpon
Marathon has REALLY changed over the last 20 years LOTS of traffic ,,etc

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
can you send me the info on your dive trip?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only shop going out the day i needed was Abyss ,,they are right in Marathon ,,there was so FEW divers in the area no other shops could put a trip together that day ,, they say on the weekend there are alot more in the area ,,also closer to summer will be more divers also ,and that will help ,it was just a basic reef dive nothing fancy and the viz was poor ,,maybe 25 feet at best .

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I rent a boat and dive gear from the John Pennekamp shop on Key Largo. Now for a half day but I have also for a full day in the past. Half day is plenty for me. The reef is about 20 minutes out and there are a LOT of places to go with tie offs. Its a nice trip, do it mid-week because it is crowded on the weekend. I do it in late October when I drive my bike down for Biketoberfest.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The marathon lady has good trips out of marathon,if it is still there .Also a boat called bait runner,capt byron will put you on fish.We rented boats at fish-n-fun in marathon,they have live shrimp and everything you need to fish.Ive always wanted to try spearfishing,maybee next trip down.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Spent a week in the Key's awhile back. Dove 2 days out of Key Largo and 2 days down in Key West. I liked the Key Largo diving better but the nightlife in Key West was ALOT more fun.

My biggest regret on that trip is that I did not fish at all, but I was young and money was tight, so another day of a guided trip was not in the cards at the time. If I go again - I am going after tarpon with my fly rod.

On my life bucket list was to drive from Miami to Key West and was able to do it.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Dave,

love to dive. Just got back from 2 years in Okinawa. Last summer I had 70 dives. Also did a 10 day trip to Thailand and with a 4-day live aboard. Awesome!!

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
I did it in Hawaii and loved it. Black Rock was the name of the place we dove. I guess its a top 3 beach dive in the world but who knows. It was a blast and I can't wait to do it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts