The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys seen signs of much fur rub yet? I am being put on 8 hour days starting next week after 6 months of 10 and 12s. I am going to put a small line out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our fur in Columbia County has been real nice...no rubbing at all...Just use a catch pole and release if the animal is all rubbed up

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
1 rubbed coon out of my last 6 or so taken during the last 2 warm spells...the rest look great...

Hearing fox is hit or miss...

My past seasons tell me most yotes are in pretty rough shape by now...

I just set a half dozen canine sets today hoping for fox..i will be surprised if i do any good...they were drifted in before i was done lol...my post sets might be alright though...might make a few more post sets and flat sets tomorrow..dirt holes and haysets just collected snow..

·
Registered
625 Posts
coon and coyotes have been looking good, haven't caught any fox, prefer not to target them this time of year.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Caught two badly rubbed reds this week, bad breeakage of guard hairs on top of half of the backs. Also caught some really nice ones, 60/40 and dropping each week.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
JMHO but anyone who catches anything in these cold (below freezing)windy conditions that we had last week and the coming days and releasing them because they were rubbed well ... that paw was probably froozen and if it was a fox you just signed it's death certificate. A 3 pawed fox will not make it. They aren't like coon and other critters that manage with 3 paws. If it's below freezing do not release. You are doing no favors to the animal.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
new2thegame... I wasn't making the post targeting you. I was just posting it as a blanket post to trappers. I bet they are fun to release from a CR ! Better you than me. probably gets pretty tricky.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I totally agree with longbeard, with some of the warmer temps we've had here I gave some of the females a 2 ml dose of ivermectin and sent them on their way. Chances are they're bred. But with this cold stuff here now you may as well take them

·
Registered
339 Posts
long beard said:
If it's below freezing do not release.
I was ready to post this same thing. Do not listen to that guy that said to release the rubbed ones. If you have any experience at all, you know what will happen to a paw in a trap when it is below freezing. Don't release! Trapping comes with responsibilities....this is one of them. Don't release a 3 footed fox.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
I give Ivomec to my dogs to prevent parasites, but why do you give it to released foxes? Just curious.
it will also kill those parasites in fox as well it will even kill fleas,ticks,mange mites as well..

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I realize that, but I just wondered if he administered the Ivomec because of parasites or does it also help with the healing process somehow.
I know the live market guys give a series of shots to penned animals, I've just never heard of injecting released animals.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Be better to give shot of antibiotic.

Foxes can survive 3 legged, though the ones I've seen may have had their leg broken bad by a car or someone shot it. I do know someone shot and killed a fox with a bad broken leg that was trying to heal, as they gave it to me. I also once picked up a roadkill fox that had a shattered leg bone that had healed completely.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Pulled my k-9 sets and strictly targeting late season coon at this point. So I can't comment to the foxes and yotes BUT...the big boar coons are still looking real nice. The last warm spell we got one old sow and she looked like she had had a date Amtrak. Kicked her from a DP none the worse for wear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts