The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a smoker so I can do my venison jerkey, salmon, etc outside. I've been doing some reading and pricing, but I know there are better experts on here to help. First question..lp gas or electric. ( I want the ease of temperature control) 2nd...Name brands that are quality without breaking the bank. 3rd...where do you get your chips and what is your favorites?

No replys necessary for homemade barrel smokers or charcoal. Not going that way.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a brinkman electric Bought it used (like new) for $20 on craigslist love it making a briskett this weekend .

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm one of those guys you don't want to talk to

I don't buy chips since I cut wood. I can offer a few suggestions however.

While Hickory is the "standard"--I prefer Oak in most cases. Forget Mesquite for smoking--that is for grilling only--it will give you a bitter flavor.

I tend to use mixes depending on what I am making. Bacon as an example will get either oak or apple--and possibly both. Ribs and Brisket will be Oak and Hickory. Ham, Hickory and Apple

The woods I use in descending amounts:

Oak
Hickory
Apple
Cherry
Plum

Cabelas and Bass Pro both sell chips of various species. I suspect Gander Mt down at Lycoming Mall has some as well.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
hey skinner, I don't use chips at all I soak chunks of wood about fist size and use them, I never used oak I will have to give that a try, i never thought of that as a smoking wood, thanks!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have tried my hand at smoking. I use my uncle Mikey's recipe....About 3/4 Oak and about 1/4 Cherry.

Oak does work well and you can actually discern a difference between White Oak and Red Oak believe it or not.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
You can do all the things you mention you want to do and MORE with this 1....

http://www.sausagemaker.com/4080020lbcapacityaluminuminsulatedsmokehouse.aspx

Hi Tech Redneck and I have this one... it is GREAT for doing just about anything you want to do with smoking something...

I'm hoping by next deer season to upgrade to the 30 pounder that looks like a small smokehouse.... http://www.sausagemaker.com/4090030lbcountrystyleinsulatedsmokehouse.aspx
Plus, we are supposed to be making a BIG Smokehouse at the farm sometime this spring or summer that will be the size of the old fashoin Double Seater Outhouses...That 1 will be for doing hams, bacons and other things that will not fit in the small smokers..

I've had my Sausagemaker Smoker since 92-93 and replaced the heating element 1 time and will need to replace it here pretty soon...the heating elements hold up, but when you use them A LOT, they burn out just like a stove top heating element does!

I used to buy my smoking chips from Gander Mountain...but since they went to the Chunks instead of chips, I've found a guy I can get different types of saw dusts from that he gets made for him from a place outside of Pinegrove..We have also started to take small limbs from the fruit trees we cut down and let them dry...I found a guy who uses a wood planer and makes his own saw dust/chips to use in his smoker, he is going to make us the dust/chips out of our wood....

The guy I know who gets the saw dust from a place outside Pinegrove, has to get it in 55 gallon drums...he told me he would split a drum with me...great way to go when it is only 10 bucks for a 55 gallon drum and when you buy the bags, it is 4.99 for a 2 pound bag!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My GF just got me this one from Gander Mtn:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...6B&merchID=4006

I've used it once and was very happy with it. There is an electric model, but personally I'm not a fan of any electric heating elements. Just the way I grew up I guess. But to me it seems cheaper to buy the LP than to spin the meter for a couple hours. As far as wood I buy the chips from Gander Mtn. I ran the smoker for 6 hours on Christmas Eve and use 1/2 of a $5 bag, plus 1/2 of a $15 tank of LP, so figure $10 plus the cost of the meat.

In other smokers I've run a lot of Apple and had the best results. Oak, and Cherry seem to work nicely. I've never used Mesquite, but I've heard the same as Thecatskinner, that Mesquite just comes out bitter.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
My drum will hold steady temps in conditions you wouldn't even dream of smokeing in. Its easy to use and the charcoal last along time. Though not for everyone if your gonna smoke in conditions like we have with wind and cold its awesome. I was looking into lp and electrics but went with a drum.

As for what woods I use oak, apple maple and cherry. Same wood as I burn in my fireplace except for the apple. I got about 3 cords of cherry right now and maybe another cord of oak and maple which I'm saveing for smokeing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
For jerky I use the "Big Chief" electric smoker. Super easy to use. I got mine at Gander for $99 and they sell wood chips as well

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Just a tip for those who have the tools and wood handy, I make all my own wood chips, sawdust really, with a 1" spade drill bit in an electric drill. I secure the wood, usually in my vise and use a slab of cardboard to catch the chips as I drill several holes in a piece of wood. you can also use the leftover bits of woods as chuncks for longer lasting smoke, grilling, etc. I just can't see buying wood when I have trees.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Oh and I have a Masterbuilt stainless steel electric unit that I love. It loads chips from outside, doesn't require much electric at all once up to temp, and it has no trouble maintaining an even temp. even in the 20 degree weather outside. I smoke beef, pork, vension, veggies, everything in it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
weber smoky mountain cooker,it used to be called the weber bullet. You can order it from amazon.com Check out the forum the virtual weber bullet

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
You can do all the things you mention you want to do and MORE with this 1....

http://www.sausagemaker.com/4080020lbcapacityaluminuminsulatedsmokehouse.aspx

Hi Tech Redneck and I have this one... it is GREAT for doing just about anything you want to do with smoking something...

I'm hoping by next deer season to upgrade to the 30 pounder that looks like a small smokehouse.... http://www.sausagemaker.com/4090030lbcountrystyleinsulatedsmokehouse.aspx
Plus, we are supposed to be making a BIG Smokehouse at the farm sometime this spring or summer that will be the size of the old fashoin Double Seater Outhouses...That 1 will be for doing hams, bacons and other things that will not fit in the small smokers..

I've had my Sausagemaker Smoker since 92-93 and replaced the heating element 1 time and will need to replace it here pretty soon...the heating elements hold up, but when you use them A LOT, they burn out just like a stove top heating element does!

I used to buy my smoking chips from Gander Mountain...but since they went to the Chunks instead of chips, I've found a guy I can get different types of saw dusts from that he gets made for him from a place outside of Pinegrove..We have also started to take small limbs from the fruit trees we cut down and let them dry...I found a guy who uses a wood planer and makes his own saw dust/chips to use in his smoker, he is going to make us the dust/chips out of our wood....

The guy I know who gets the saw dust from a place outside Pinegrove, has to get it in 55 gallon drums...he told me he would split a drum with me...great way to go when it is only 10 bucks for a 55 gallon drum and when you buy the bags, it is 4.99 for a 2 pound bag!
Woody helped me out on this model.. It works great on small batches.. All I've done so far with is salmon,pork lions. I'm cranking out salmon filets they turn out GREAT! kudo's to Woody

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have a bradley 4 rack digital. Can't go wrong with it. It's so easy. I've used gas smokers before and it puts them to shame. Temps are way more controlable and just a real nice design.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts