The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I’m in the middle of DMA 3....it’s only a matter of time...thank you deer farmers and Dept of Ag...makes me sick...daughter came through the house yesterday after she stepped in deer ----...first thought was......great....I have prions all through my kitchen... Transportation of live deer is why we are in this position right now...should have stopped 20 years ago....no deer should of been allowed to enter the state... Used to love to shoot a couple doe for my family to enjoy...I loved processing and making all kinds of jerky and sausage......now not so sure...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I’m in the middle of DMA 3....it’s only a matter of time...thank you deer farmers and Dept of Ag...makes me sick...daughter came through the house yesterday after she stepped in deer ----...first thought was......great....I have prions all through my kitchen... Transportation of live deer is why we are in this position right now...should have stopped 20 years ago....no deer should of been allowed to enter the state... Used to love to shoot a couple doe for my family to enjoy...I loved processing and making all kinds of jerky and sausage......now not so sure...
Yep, know the feeling. My test so far came back “Not Detected” but I now field dress and handle my deer like it’s a HAZMAT operation. I am really hoping a field test kit will be available soon.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
I'm in DMA2. My neighbor killed one opening day of archery that was acting and looking real bad. Sent the head in and it came back positive

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm in DMA2. My neighbor killed one opening day of archery that was acting and looking real bad. Sent the head in and it came back positive
What county?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
We hunt directly above the hotbed of CWD. Just on ridge top from where it all began in 2C. Past 2 years and a few dozen tests, thus far all 'not detected'

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good information on that page. Thanks.

I've always wondered at what point they started taking wild samples to test for CWD. I am very skeptical of the bar graph that shows over 3,000 sampled wild deer every year since 2004. Who was paying for those tests? Where were they getting their samples? I'd like to see some more information backing up those numbers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It shows that as our sample size exponentially increased, so did the positives. My question is, has PA really tested that many wild animals between 2002 and 2012 when it showed up? Maybe we have, but seems far fetched.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Says you! It wasn't on this side of the Mississippi in the 70s.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
55 Posts
Says you! It wasn't on this side of the Mississippi in the 70s.
I completely agree, but people have been eating cervids west of the Mississippi since then. I live in the heart of DMA2 and I'm sure I know people, if not myself, that has consumed it.

Back to my original question WW, and maybe you know this. Have they been testing for CWD in this state since 2002 on the scale that the bar graph shows? If so, where did the samples come from? Was CWD even on our radar to be testing at that scale? I understand an uptick in testing by 2011 when it showed up in Md.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree that 1 is too many.When I kill a deer their is backstraps in the frying pan the same night.Allways has been and allways will be.
Looking at the number tested and the number that came back positive, even in the “hot area”, they are only finding about 2-3 deer out of every 100 tested. If you are a statistics person, you can assume that is the current prevalence rate in the wild population. They have sampled enough from a statistical standpoint that they can firmly say right now it affects about 2.5% of the population in the core area, DMA2. I am in DMA 3, where they found a total of six, but still got mine tested. Have not got the results back yet.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts