The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of getting an "all around use" gun. After looking on the net for far too long I come up with a couple that was worth looking at. What I really want is a gun with around a 4 inch barrel with adjustable sights in 357 mag. I thought of a 44 too because I have tons of stuff for a 44, but they tend to be a bit heavier. I want to be able to comfortable carry it outdoors. It's not meant for CC. I like to carry when I'm scouting in the off season, and while fishing in the mountains.

As much a I like the Smith & Wessons they are way out of my price range.

I looked at the ruger sp100, and it's a nice gun, but not sure I really like it.

I picked up a taurus tracker, and it felt great in my hands. Also very light which is important to me. I've heard these guns aren't really meant for a healthy diet of full power loads. I have no real intensions of feeding it such loads. Will probably shoot mostly 38's for practice.

Anybody have any experiences with one of these?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
JMO If it feels good in your hand and is in your price range that is probably the handgun for you. I know several shooters that are very happy with the Taurus.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I thought they were junk until I shot one, pretty accurate guns. I would say buy it if the price is right and it fits good.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Bought one a couple of years ago for Willie to shoot. He shoots the heck out of it. 38 spl. and full house 357's, never a problem.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went looking at some guns again yesterday. I ended up getting a 6" Ruger GP100. The grips have been changed since the last time I looked at them. They had the rubber w/ wood inserts before. I picked it up, and it felt better than the taurus I had previously held.

I took it out yesterdat afternoon to see how it shot, and only needed some windage adjustments. A friend that was with me put out some soda cans to get trigger time with his 22 and I took out 3 with 6 shots, and made them dance with the other 3. It's a really fun gun to shoot.

Just gotta get some dies and components now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
Well I went looking at some guns again yesterday. I ended up getting a 6" Ruger GP100. The grips have been changed since the last time I looked at them. They had the rubber w/ wood inserts before. I picked it up, and it felt better than the taurus I had previously held.

I took it out yesterdat afternoon to see how it shot, and only needed some windage adjustments. A friend that was with me put out some soda cans to get trigger time with his 22 and I took out 3 with 6 shots, and made them dance with the other 3. It's a really fun gun to shoot.

Just gotta get some dies and components now.
Good gun, I have on in 6" also. Mine had the grips with the rosewood inserts, a lot of people prefer them that way especially since Ruger no longer offers them on the new GP100s. I bought the Hogue grips for the gun for $15 and not sure I prefer them over the original ones yet.

I actually wanted a S&W 686 stainless but ended up with the Ruger and I'm very happy with my purchase. It is a very stout gun and I saved myself a good deal of money by not buying a S&W.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted the same S&W, but way too much $$$. I looked at there website, and it looks like they went up a couple hundred dollars since last year. I think MSRP is something like $1047 now. I picked up my Ruger at a local gunshop for $549. The taurus was actually $6 more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts