The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t met anyone local to me that specifically target woodcock. I know populations have been declining in recent decades but I figure some people still chase them. I bet most are taken while grouse hunting too.

·
Registered
25,161 Posts
,I did until .... I actually tasted one.... when my last pointing dog died....I gave up on woodcock ....My beagle will put them up on occasion but they get a tip of the hat and a smile these days.

Lost Again has been known to look for them ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I take them during grouse season, but the king is always my target... If cooked correctly they are delicious as poppers or just touched on both sides in a hot pan.

Lost targets them for sure, mainly for young pups.

·
Super Moderator
2,837 Posts
I intentionally hunt for woodcock. It's mostly because I want to get the dog on birds and the local grouse are gone and even the non-local grouse are getting further and further away.

I enjoy taking pictures of them more than shooting them . . . but still carry a gun rather than a camera in the fall.

Here's the threads from the last 2 springs when Lost and I went on our picture safaris.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Haven’t met anyone local to me that specifically target woodcock. I know populations have been declining in recent decades but I figure some people still chase them. I bet most are taken while grouse hunting too.
I hunt for them a good bit! Key is a good pointer and putting them down in an area with woodcock. Also bump into a lot while grouse hunting. Plenty of them in my area!

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
,I did until .... I actually tasted one.... when my last pointing dog died....I gave up on woodcock ....My beagle will put them up on occasion but they get a tip of the hat and a smile these days.

Lost Again has been known to look for them ;)
agree on the taste:sick:

·
Registered
952 Posts
I run the dogs on woodcock but only shoot a few. I'm with everyone else and I do not like the taste. I know a few people that do so I donate any I shoot to them. Great to work the dogs on and we even manage some of the property for them for training.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I run my dogs on them in the spring but haven't shot one in probably 15-20 years. Like some others I don't consider them fit for consumption.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
When does it open? Got an email blast from the GC yesterday, mentioned the bear openers on the 16th and the pheasant opener on the 23rd, but nothing about grouse/woodcock opening.

·
Registered
25,161 Posts
page 44. No wonder they missed it along with grouse & rabbit.

I find it odd that the news blurb passed over grouse rabbit & woodcock but pointed out that pheasant starts next week end.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I’ve only ever seen one and I kicked it up during a drive in rifle season probably over a decade ago now. Took me a second to realize what it was as it dove into the brush.

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
My dog points a number of them every year while I am grouse or pheasant hunting. Not so much for grouse anymore though since I normally don't even hunt for grouse anymore. Grouse numbers are so low I feel guilty even shooting one of them these days. Plus in the early part of grouse season I am afraid to put my dog on the ground in the best grouse areas because most those are also some of the best rattlesnake areas.

I have only shot a couple woodcock over the past decade even though we still find a pretty good number of them. I shot one eight or nine years ago, while a Game Warden from Florida was up to hunt grouse with me. He shot a couple woodcock over my dog then when we had another point the bugger flushed where he couldn't take the shot. I shot it simply because I knew he would eat it. Then four or five years ago another friend, one who posts on this site, was in to hunt some pheasant and grouse. He had never eaten a woodcock and wanted to try one but he didn't have the required migratory bird permit. So, when we got a woodcock up on a point I shot it so he could cock it and try it. The next day he advised me I wouldn't need to shot anymore of them for him.

They taste so bad my dog, who is a retrieving fool, will not even retrieve them. He will run out, mouth it a few times then just stand over it, looking back at you as if saying "if you want this stinking thing come and get it yourself."

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 20 of 28 Posts