The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help my father with an ejection issue with a Swedish M38 (same action as the M96). He had one sporterized a few years back. I didn't know it at the time, but the last round, after firing, wouldn't eject strongly. He didn't care because it was only the last round.

Now it's doing it with most rounds, and it's leaving the empty shell in the breech, which is an obvious problem.

Being a bit of a milsurp collector, I know a thing or two about Mausers, and I figured "this can't be a tough thing to fix". Well, it might not be, but I can't for the life of me, figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

What's happening is that the empty brass is thrown against the rear receiver ring and it rebounds back into the breech, staying there laying loose on top of the follower or the rounds in the mag well.

A friend of his switched the ejectors from one rifle to another (he has an unaltered '38 and an unaltered '96). What's ODD here is that I expected the Swedes to have pretty consistent parts. The ejectors on each rifle are different lengths. His friend put the longest ejector on the rifle, hoping to have it toss the brass earlier in the rearward bolt stroke.

I've also noticed that if I remove the floorplate/follower/spring assembly, it ejects fine. If I take the same assembly out of another of his rifles and put it in the affected one, it has less of a problem, but still spotty with ejection.

Ejection in a Mauser is not that terribly complicated an action, so this one has me stumped. I looked at the extractors on the three rifles, and visually can't see anything amiss. I thought about trying a different extractor on the offending rifle, just to see if somehow that's playing a role in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
is the spent shell coming in contact with the magazine wall during ejection? I was going to suggest the longer (or altered) ejector...but you've already done it.

You might try shimming the magazine well down a touch with a washer and see if this helps. if it does, rather than leave the washers in there, maybe find the place the casings are rubbing the mag and file that down a bit. Candle soot would work well to mark the well. chamber an empty, remove the trigger/mag plate, hold over a candle flame for a second to get it sooted up and reinstall CAREFULLY so as not to disturb the soot. operate the bolt and see if there's any shiny metal showing now? Just a thought...i don't have a mauser. I've handled a fair share of them, and have looked at all the exploded diagrams I can find and I don't see much that CAN go wrong?

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, the empty brass comes back straight, doesn't drag on the receiver or follower, although I wonder if the rim might? That wouldn't be readily observable. Good idea on smoking the follower, but wouldn't the bolt mess that up? The bolt should be holding the follower down. Everything looks right, it throws fine, just throws it smack into the inside edge of the rear receiver ring.

I thought maybe it was a worn bolt stop, but at least a visual inspection of the three rifles shows the other rifles are similar, and actually, his friend switched the whole bolt stop/ejector assembly rather than just the specific part. So a whole other bolt stop/ejector replicates the same issue.

I have a 96 at home. I'll have to look at it.

You're dead on....Mausers aren't complicated critters. That's why I'm so perplexed by this one.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
another thought...can you bend the extractor pin down a touch to change the angle of ejection?

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually think I'm going to swap extractors and see what that does. I have a hunch the extractor is worn on the sporter rifle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts