The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the gunshow today and left all the guns there. then me and my boys and brother decided on a whim to hit one of our favorite country gun shops. nice selection as always. i am a big marlin fan and have some of the Davidson limited edition 336's. as i perused the used racks i spied a stainless walnut shorty and initially thought it was a 1895gs 45/70. then i looked closer and realized i was looking at a davidsons limited. if any of you are real Marlin fans you'll know why i was excited when i saw this roll mark.

Davidsons commissioned 500 of these a few years ago and they have become highly sought after by marlin fans. this gun is really nicely finished and has beautiful wood. the trigger is better than any marlin i own too.

Its a like a mini guide gun. 18.5" barrel. stainless steel and walnut. no ports which is good.

Look at the wood on this thing. unreal for a factory marlin. the pictures don't really do it justice. lots of figure and swirl and smooth as a babys bee hind.

Looks like it was fired very little. came with original box, hammer spur, front site hood and all paperwork. The gunshop didn't know what they had and had it very reasonably priced. about half of what it was worth. i was not going to correct them and got out my wallet fast.

This baby is going to get a set of Talley Lightweight lows and a nice little compact scope one of these days. i'll be heading out back tomorrow after church with a box of 200gr corelokts to give it a try with the open sites. can't wait.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sweet rifle! I have a 336sc in 35 rem. They may not be as rare as the davidsons but are very hard to find. I felt it was appropriate to put a weaver k2.5 on it. This instantly became my favorite rifle.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
That looks rough, better sell it to me for $125 and find another. Super rifle, congrats on that find.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Nice grab on that one ! Isn't it funny how some gun dealers really don't know what they are selling? I have run into that over and over through the years. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Marlins are finally getting the respect they deserve....values of minty guns approach similar Winchester levers these days....most are being sold through auction houses....

I am fortunate to own a 98-99% 1897 made around WWI and its case coloring has to be seen to be appreciated....it takes a back seat to none of my CC Winchesters....or any of Turnbull's work....

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I use a Marlin 336 at times. My dad purchased it in 1958. Still as reliable as the day he bought it.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hunterdan199 said:
is that a marlin or a remington ?
its a marlin. made in new haven in 2004. for those of you who don't know, marlin is now owned by the same company that owns remington and others. they closed the new haven facility and moved production to ilion new york. its easy to tell the difference. the marlins have a JM on the left side of the barrel near the reciever and the remingtons have a REP on the right side near the reciever. the quality of the marlins has degraded seriously since the move and remington has actually stopped production of the marlin line until at least the end of this year to address the issues. if you look at new ones, you will a lot of times see really poor fitting, cock-eyed sites, rough actions, etc. its really a shame and i hope they get their act together. this gun is fitted and finished like a custom shop gun and smooth as silk. i'll be throwing some rounds down range here in a few hours and will post some pics. if looks are any indication, it will shoot pretty well. i don't have a scope or mounts for it yet so i will be shooting open sights for a bit yet. gotta rebuild the war chest for a few months and get a nice little nikon monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20 and some talley mounts and then it will be ready for the monday after thanksgiving 2012.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Sweet.I have never been to a private owned shop that don,t know everything about every make and model of a firearm.Gander Mtn,s and the like yes,but not local shops.Plus fit and finish and quality was second to none before teh Kenna famila sold out.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
on my 40 yard range it shoots as good as i can expect with my eyes and open sites. it hits a little to the right which is the 3 shot group on the right. holding a little left is the top group. the group in the green dot is my marlin 336D 35 with 4x scope.

i was in a nostalgic mood so i dug out one of my old timers. rem 14R carbine in 35. i can't see the sites very well with my bifocals so the two shots to the right at 2 o'clock is the 14R.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
That's still some good shooting. Get a decent optic on it and you will be cutting holes. Hit me up when you are thinking about getting the optic for it. I'm still working on getting up all of my nikon optics, but should have them all up by the end of the week. I have to say that I am a Marlin fan myself. Congrats again on the find!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I'm starting to believe he just tormenting us. First the 35 whelen carbine...now this. I think he should be banned

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hunt/fish365 said:
I'm starting to believe he just tormenting us. First the 35 whelen carbine...now this. I think he should be banned
as my dad used to say, "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while". for the amount of time i spend at gunshows, gunshops, gunbroker and just generally gun stuff its surprising i have any room left in my safe or money for food. which btw, are both getting tight.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
There is nothing wrong with an affixiation for the .35 caliber gun. I myself am a huge fan of that caliber and plan on also aquiring many weapons featuring that bore diameter. I am a true fan myself!

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I like a lever action I have a 94 in 30-30 a 336 in 30-30 and an 88 Win in 308....like em all, just had new scope mounts put on the 88 yesterday...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mackgee said:
There is nothing wrong with an affixiation for the .35 caliber gun. I myself am a huge fan of that caliber and plan on also aquiring many weapons featuring that bore diameter. I am a true fan myself!
you and me both mac. i have 35 rem, 35 whelen, 350 rem mag and 358 win. guess i need a 356 win to cover them all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts