The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was getting a left handed t/c hawkens but have now found out they don't exist. How bad are the downsides of shooting a right handed flintloc by a lefty? It's not that I'm dead set on doing this,wanted to see if anyone does this and what were your findings? While looking around I found out that back in the day if you were left handed you became right handed. I know Lyman makes left handed flints, deerstalker and great plains rifle. I'm looking at these two right now. Would'nt mind hearing about both from those who have them, how are they in the woods, how are they for toteing around (weight wise),reliable? thanks.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I've done it in the past... and won't ever again. Used to get alot of powder in my eyes, even with glasses on, and it will create bad shooting habits (flinching, pulling the trigger instead of squeezing, etc) real quick.

I wouldn't recommend it...

I now shoot a .54 caliber LH renegade for my hunting needs, and have a LH Lyman deerstalker for backup

My Lyman Deerstalker touches the bullets on paper at 65-80 yards... if you got one, you'll never look back.

They are easier toting than my TC's have been... but I hunt with the T/C's because I am biased towards them with shooting my first deer. We have history together. The lyman totes much better...

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I am left handed and I have two right hand T/C Renegades..A flint and a percussion..Hunting both in in Pa. and in Virginia I've probably shot about 15 deer between the two...Can't say I've ever really had anything happen to make me to wish mine were lefty weapons...Maybe because I wear glasses, but I've never been spritzed with sparks myself, and if I had to buy another flintlock it would probably be a righty gun again..Never flinched yet because that T/C set trigger gets you by surprise every time!.I've never owned a lefty anything...All my guns are right handed . Don't be afraid to get that righty!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm a lefty and own 6 or more flintlocks and only one is a lefty, been shootin them since the early 70's ,lost track of the # of kills . Never made a difference to me.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I think that as long as you don't overfill the pan you shouldn't have any trouble. I shoot left handed and now own custom lefties but I never had an issue with shooting my right handed Hawken from the "wrong" side.I have been spritzed by the guy shooting beside me from his pan. Where glasses at the range and you should when you are hunting but that rarely happens. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
iam lefty used to to shoot righty but got my frist left gun about 6 years ago and made a difference in my shooting its up to you they cost a little more but in the end its all in what you feel comfortable with

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My fear is if I get a right hand I'll be in the group that has issues with it.Then I'll have a rifle that I don't want to use. It seems that left hand flints are few and far between...such is the curse of being left eye dominate. Back when I started in archery someone whom I have a lot of respect for said you'll never be as good as you can be shooting a right hand bow.I don't know if that rolls over into flinting or not.So far as I can see the choices of makers are limited. Like said above, I'm leaning toward either a deerstalker or great plains rifle right now,still looking around but want to stay in this price range.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I never owned a righty and shoot lefty. I have the Lyman GP and bought a right handed hunter barrel for it. I had a gunsmith put the hole on the "correct" side and have been using it for years. I don't mind the long barrel and the extra weight. My son has a LH Lyman deerstalker and I have shot it also. I prefer the long barrel.

You can't go wrong with a Lyman. I have shot many RH flinters but like the lefty better.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
Seeker, I'm a lefty, and decided to get into this addictive flintlock stuff in the late 70's. I picked up an auction TC Hawken, and became a "primitive" hunter. I couldn't shoot that Hawken for squat, and became one of the best flinchers in Berks County history because of the pan flash in front of my face.

I blamed my lack of shooting skill on that TC, and sold it to purchase a fancy new, right-handed Hatfield being sold then by Cabela's. I carried that piece for a few years because it looked "cool", but I couldn't shoot that one accurately either, and it had the habit of mis-firing about 50% of the time! By this time I was ready to quit the primitive business all together.

I sold that Hatfield, made a call, and drove up to Cabin Creek to see if Brad Emig could help me. He had a second hand lefty rifle with a Siler lock and Green Mt. barrel. My shooting absolutely improved immediately, and I've never looked back.

All my flintlocks are now leftys, and I've become a reasonably good shot as my eyes have progressively gone in the other direction. We eat venison almost
(annually) because I limit my shots to reasonable ranges, and broadside, double-lung shots.

There are some who can shoot flintlocks equally well no matter on which side the lock is located. Many more leftys would benefit greatly if they would shoot flintlocks with the lock on the LEFT side.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
There are some who can shoot flintlocks equally well no matter on which side the lock is located. Many more leftys would benefit greatly if they would shoot flintlocks with the lock on the LEFT side.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've looked around and can't help but wonder why more than a few are not made left hand?

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I am a big fan of T/Center rifles.I am going to have them build me a new Renegade in .54 cal out of their custom shop.It will cost me $479+$19 for shipping.They might even do a lefty.Plus it will come with T/C,s lifetime warranty.I am not a lefty and shoot right handed and have a lot of respect for Lyman for maketing a rifle just for you south paws.I am considering a Lyman trade rifle too.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I got a left handed T/C renegade in .54 and love the thing to death...

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
good ole boy said:
I am a big fan of T/Center rifles.I am going to have them build me a new Renegade in .54 cal out of their custom shop.It will cost me $479+$19 for shipping.They might even do a lefty.Plus it will come with T/C,s lifetime warranty.I am not a lefty and shoot right handed and have a lot of respect for Lyman for maketing a rifle just for you south paws.I am considering a Lyman trade rifle too.
I called T/C also and can confirm the above. Also for 10 bucks more you can get the 30 inch 1:66 twist barrel with No QLA. The only difference in the old and new Renegades is the new ones don`t have a metal butt plate, they come with a recoil pad. i can`t do the pad personally as the Renegade should have the metal butt plate, but T/C will no longer do them with it

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Jack, make your own or take one off the old one and put it on the new one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts