The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've been talking to my step-dad recently about wanting to purchase a flintlock to shoot for fun, and use during the late season. Well his uncle gave him the pictured gun below to see if I'd be interested in buying it, but none of us really know anything about it, and I'm pretty certain that it isn't a "flintlock" based off of other guns I've seen. Is it an old percussion cap gun of some sort? If anyone has any input on style/type of gun, age, make/model, estimated price/cost, age, etc., please let me know. I couldn't find any sort of markings, company names, or numbers anywhere on the gun. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
No idea who made it but, I think I would just hang in on the Wall for a conversation piece! Kinda looks unsafe to shoot??

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. I know it would definitely need stripped apart, everything cleaned really well, do some more research, etc., but it has quite a bit of weight too it and seems that it was meant to shoot at some point.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes its a caplock,not a flint.Some times the makers name or stamp is under the barrel,so the stock would have to come off.Shine a light down the muzzle and see how much rust is in it.Looks a little like a Hawkins type gun.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
I sure Zimm will be able to shed light on this.Bein a percussion it isn,t legal in the f/lock only late season.Ron is right on about it lookin kind of iffy to safely shoot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't hurry to hang that on the wall. Take it to a muzzleloader shop and see what an expert might tell you. It looks like it would be fun for the early muzzleloader season.

Is there anything stamped or engraved on the barrel?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now I'm wondering if they're bread n butter or dill.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
It is definitely percussion ignition, and before you go any further with it, first make absolutely sure is does not have an old charge and projectile resting at the breech.

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Interesting gun. Shame it was refinished. Somebody sanded the trim margin around the lock until it disappeared.

the breech plug has a very nice snail bolster and indicates the barrel was a higher end barrel. I do note that it looks like somebody removed the breech plug and the seam doesn;t quite match up. Perhaps the barrel was set back at some point. The fact that the lock cut out does not match the snail indicates the lock and barrel were not originally paired with each other.

How about some pictures of the muzzle and the other side of the gun?

The trigger guard is identical to many I have seen. brass furniture was imported for the gun building trade, as were locks. By the time this gun was made, there were lock companies here in the US. I see that where the lock is a poor fit to the contour of the snail.

I feel that the gun was originally a full stock and like many others, the stock was cut back over the years because of cracks and wear.

Keep in mind that on the frontier and out in the settlements, older broken guns were frequently reworked, being restocked, and even parts cannibalized together.

The pictures don't show whether there is a cheek piece. the stock is not a roman nose early type. the lines look more like it was post 1830, and snail breech plugs didn't show up until after 1840. The butt plate curve and the top of the butt plate are of a later style as well.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Pickles do look good.

Back in about '76, I had a cheap CVA long rifle that looked just like this but mine was a flinter and had a full length stock. It had some of those same Pakistanish file marks on it too. The wood doesn't look old to me, just like it was in a kit or something like was popular in the early days of modern muzzleloading.

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it but definitely check to see if it has a load in it and check the bore. Might be rusted up like the underside of an old Chevy truck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to disappoint guys, but that was a jar of homemade jalapenos (haha). Zimmerstutzen's technical talk on the gun is way beyond me, haha, but I'll try to get a couple more pictures. With it not being an actual flintlock, if I decide to purchase it, I probably wouldn't offer much, and as mentioned, maybe just use it as a decoration piece or make it a project and see if I can get it to shoot. I couldn't find anything stamped anywhere on it, but as mentioned, my step-father said the same thing about taking it apart to see if anything is stamped under the barrel, but since its not mine, I wasns't able to do that yet. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Pretty sure that's not a "kit" gun, and is as old as it looks. Also would think you don't want to buy that gun for hunting. Now, if you would want a mantle piece, that's another story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts