The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29,424 Posts
okay from what i can see if this was taken in PA its most likely a banded watersnake. non-poisonous but mean as Heck, they like to bite just for fun.

then again it could be a copperhead depending on where it was seen in PA

if the head is triangular shaped its very likely poisonous if the head is normal snake shape its non poisonous but a mean as heck watersnake

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Mug, i Google brown banded water snake and it shows them as a tropical snake from Trinidad Tabago region. Too cold up here for them I'd think. I think the Northern water snake is what they actually are.

I don’t tolerate them in our pond where we swim.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
355 Posts
When I was a kid, I was laying on the ground shooting my pellet gun one day. I caught a little motion to my left.. when I turned to look, I was face to face with one of those suckers .. it’s head was upright and sticking its tounge out at me and definitely within striking range. As aggressive as they are, I dnt know what stopped him from biting that day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mug, i Google brown banded water snake and it shows them as a tropical snake from Trinidad Tabago region. Too cold up here for them I'd think. I think the Northern water snake is what they actually are.

I don’t tolerate them in our pond where we swim.
I got that name from a herpetologist I took a college course from back in the 1960s. That is what he called the one I found under a rock in a small stream near Shippensburg. It bit me when it wokd up from hibernation. There are a bunch of common names I found for the northern watersnake. I don't use google, but use another search engine.
There is also a watersnake in tropical north and south america that is commonly called "brown banded." This is a good reason for using scientific names instead of common names. This one is Nerodia sipedon sipedon. no confusion there.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Northern water snake.

I’d say 99.9% of the time a person claimed to see a copperhead it was actually a northern water snake.

they are definitely aggressive. One time we were catching sunfish and the snakes were grabbing the as we reeled in

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm no Herpetologist and am not arguing that i know better than anyone. I found Helicops Angulatus commonly called brown banded watersnake, and not native to PA. You can call them anything you want. I call them trespassing when they hit my pond.

Reactions: bohunr
1 - 20 of 20 Posts