The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any other HPAers who have a Hummer H3 or even H2? if so are you on the Hummerforums?

We have a 2007 H3 we bought new and put 39K miles on it so far. It is time for new treads and I plan to go a bit wider then the stock 265s (the optional 285 or 305) and may level the front end. Also a more agressive tread.

We use it as a daily driver right now so off-road tread was not really a concern, but my son (13) is into trucks and ATvs alot so we hope to hang on to it since they don't make them anymore and make it more off-road friendly as the magic age of 16 closes in for him and we get a different vehicle for the daily purpose. We have had it off-road a few times in both mud and snow, and really have no complaints on its handling at stock level short of the treads and certaily love the front approach angle on them (even gets better with leveling)and the tight turning radius.

Just wondering if there are any other H3 owners here. What alterations have you done?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own an H3 with an adventure package on it. It will go anywhere you have the guts to put it. I have driven H1, H2, and H3s and H3 are the best for being in the woods

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally a response!!!

I agree on its capabilities...I absolutely love the tight turning radius and great approach angles. They clean up nice but we are finding more and more it is lots more fun dirty.

Got to admit though now that they don't make them anymore, part of me wants to keep it as nice as possible...but with a son that is into off roading at 13yo, that ain't going to happen.

What size and type tires are you running?

We are putting on 305-70-16s in General Grabber AT2s before Fall and snow starts, should make a nice difference...that is if General ever gets the grabbers off backorder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have bridgestone dualers 28575r16. I have 44k on my H3. I worded a HUMMER dealership and have seen a lot of different tires on them, for the most part the stock tires will do anything you want to do.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
The H-3 was the best version of the trailblazer...

It has to be nicer off road as it is smaller than the H-2 which is a surburban/tahoe/silverado in drag...I have a friend w/ an H-2 and all he does is gripe about the 8 MPG! It's nice and cozy inside but when I look underneath, all I see is a chevy...

I remember going places w/ my CJ5 that the larger/wider 4x4s couldn't go...I could wiggle between the trees where they just couldn't go.

Cooper makes some nice tires too!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'd personally recomend the pro comp mud terrains or all terrains. Great tire well known company. And quite often they run a buy 3 get 1 free sale. Just something to keep in mind

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The H3 was built on the Colorado frame I believe...it is an engineering winner in my book.

I don't like mudder tires, the grabber AT2 I have had before and impress the heck out of me for grab and low highway noise on a great agressive tread. My heart is kind of set on them, especially cause the price is right, likely why they are backordered EVERYWHERE.

Anyone ever do the Hummer off-road weekend at Nemocolin(sp)Woodlands resort near 7 springs?? Looked fun, but my guess is that went to the waysidewith the Hummer heyday.

BTW, I am glad as heck that the deal with the chinese company to buy Humnmer feel thru..last thing we want is a US icon of better days high on the hog to get in the hands of them.

Love to take the H3 to the OBXthis weekend, but its one fault is cargo space...and family of 5 and all their stuff to survive away from home for 10 days does not fit well, even with the roof rack cage we got....so silverdao crew it is.

Like to ride off road with you guys someday...

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Rooster, I don't own a hummer but I just went out and got some REALLY agressive tires. They're called Hankook dynapro MT. I looked EVERYWHERE and did tons of research. These things are great. I have almost zero road noise with these things, I haven't slipped once in the rain and I would imagine their off-roading capabilities are pretty darn good.

Here's a great review from four wheeler magazine

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0710_hankook_dynapro_mt_rt03_tire_test/index.html

here's a pic.

here they are on a H3

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NICE..I looked serious at Hanooks before, not those but that brand.

I see the H3 kept the stock tire as the spare (that is the tread we got now), been going back on forth on that ...should I get 4 or 5 new treads.

That is the kind of trail I want to do, anyone know of one??

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
If it were me I'd stick with the stock spare. I can't see spending 200 bucks just to make the tire on the back look a little cooler expecially since you probably won't ever use it and if you do it will be just to get to the shop to buy another and then back on the hanger it goes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
RB any of those tire sounds good.But more off road worthy for an H3?Don't take it bad but leave the trail whale at home.Yes it can and will do ok off road but upgrades and repairs to it are hard to find and expensive.I know for fact if you roll in with a large ride the jeeps are going to run rings around it and have fun trying to get it stuck or worse break it.I wheeled a F150 and know what I went through.When your son gets to drive and wants a ride to wheel and have fun with.Get a Jeep xj or jk with a straight 6.More upgrades and easer to find parts to fix.Keep the H3 for you and keep it nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts