The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
may be up that way on sat or monday. Anyone else put up some birds in that area. if so and you feel like giving me a hint, that would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Judging by the amount of responses that you are getting it must be loaded with grouse and no one wants to give it away.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or no one hunts grouse there so no one knows. I wanted to combine a litte hunting with my dog, and then swing over to McConnels Mills and get some kayaking time on the Slippery Rock. Could also go to Ohiopyle and do the same but the water is a little on the high side for me.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
I haven't heard of much grouse at moraine and have never seen one there but ya never know

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't hunt Moraine for grouse but I have put them up there. Use to be OK numbers years ago. There is a parking area at the end of Chestnut Ridge road on the Northeast end of the lake. You might find a few around there.I would stop in or call the park office and see if there has been any cutting in the past 15 years that was open to hunting. Sorry couldn't be of more help. Just don't hunt out that way much anymore. Best of Luck

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've done a fair amount of small game hunting there, and squirrels and rabbits are plentiful, but I've never seen a grouse at Moraine.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Friedl said:
I've done a fair amount of small game hunting there, and squirrels and rabbits are plentiful, but I've never seen a grouse at Moraine.
I've looked around at Moraine for places that could hold bunnies, on google earth and just driving around, and nothing jumped out at me. Also as another poster stated, there doesn't appear to be any young forest at Moraine, just big trees and a lake. I could definitely see where you could probably get into squirrels though with the big timber.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Way before the internet, the mention of grouse and location was a no-no.
Grouse-I never hunted grouse.

My silence was like discussing my tree stand location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts