The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might take the boy out tomorrow for a couple bunnies. I haven't done much small game for years and wonder what anyone's favorite bunny recipe is? Can't even remember how we used to make them when I was a kid. Just remember they were good and really DID taste like chicken!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, butcher them into 6 parts, the four legs and the back cut in half with the ribs cut off. Par boil the parts in water with salt, a couple of carrots and celery stalks cut into 2 inch piewces and half an onion and a half dozen pepper corns. When fork tender remove from the water, pat dry and shake in a plastic bag wigth salt and pepper and fry in half butter and half bacon fat till nice and brown. It will be crispy on the outside and tender and moist on the inside.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My fav was the recipe that used to be in the hunting mags where the pieces are layered in a deep casserole dish with coarse bread crumbs or stuffing between layers and on top, add alittle water and acouple bay leaves and bake. This also works with young grounghogs and you won't know the differnce. I t was called Shenandoah Valley Rabbit.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I worked with a lady in Detroit who was Portuguese Spanish decent..
Her dad raised rabbits for eating like some folks do chicken...but they preferred wild to raised...
Anyhow she split entire carcass to flat, put it in dish added white wine, Olive oil, garlic fresh chopped, rosemary & lemon...(they also marinaded it with vacuum bags) .. Marinated...on to charcoal grill split and continued to brush/coat it with marinade while it grilled...
Man it was outstanding...
Same thing with fish...
Finish with splashes of balsamic vinegar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts