The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we constantly hear from the people that are opposed to gas drilling in PA... Even tho it has been going on for 125 years..... But my question is... Does anyone have good stories? like... I got a well on my property and the operators of the well planted a food plot for me.... the money from the royalties helped pay my taxes.... helped pay for my crops this year??? free gas??

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Yep. Range Resources got in contact with QDMA and asked for food plot recommendations. We're busy making them a list of mixes, seed companies, etc. that will be very wildlife friendly.

I certainly appreciate their pro-active approach!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats awesome! As long as the growth comes back every year, that is a great thing.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
We're giving them several different mixture choices, and instructions for the land owner for each to maintain them.

The landowner can pick the mix that best meets their desired goals. It'll be a good thing I hope!

·
Registered
25,125 Posts
In the process of repaving our road right now. Doing a nice job too! Contracted Glen Hawbaker a Pa firm and paid for by Talisman, not the taxpayers.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just remember when picking seed, under Well site restorations in 25 PA CODE i thnk its 102.11- well site restoration falls on the operator.... so they are going to want to plant something that comes back every year. clover being a huge percentage.

·
Registered
25,912 Posts
In the process of repaving our road right now. Doing a nice job too! Contracted Glen Hawbaker a Pa firm and paid for by Talisman, not the taxpayers
Hawbecker is currently repaving one PADOT road in the twp. my camp is in, after PADOT closed that road to gas exploration traffic. Pretty sure the gas companies had bonded that road for repairs?

Here's the thing: The part that Hawbecker is redoing now, was always a gravel road that PADOT had just oiled/chipped over some years ago, without ever improving the stone base, so it never really stayed together. They just patched it each spring, after the normal winter "heave" and spring thaw. Blaming gas company traffic for destroying this road, was a joke. It wasn't really much of a road prior to the gas drilling.

Novus has two wells in the twp. and although they didn't bond every twp. gravel road in the area, they did regrade/repair all of them this spring. Any soft spots from winter travel, were dug up and filled with crushed limestone (not gravel). Whether gas trucks had used the road, or not.

Those roads are now in very good shape, some are now better than the twp. ever kept them, prior to the gas exploration.

·
Registered
777 Posts
DennyF
So are these township roads or PennDOT roads?

·
Registered
25,912 Posts
Think I'd clearly explained that? I'll go back and highlight it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sorry
When you said Gravel road, oiled & chipped thats what are township roads are up here and we got alot more township roads than PennDot roads.Are roads were made to see a milk truck go down them once or twice a week.Not 50 or 60 water/triaxle trucks a day.These are roads my wife and I take to work, kids take to school.Maybe they all should be PennDot roads then they would be evenly taxed through out the whole state.But I like my gravel roads, and I want to stay as far away from Rendall's armpits as I can.

·
Registered
25,912 Posts
PADOT just approved the repairs to the road I mentioned above and is now letting gas well traffic back on it again. The section is the part that had always just been gravel, prior to PADOT oil/chipping it some years ago.

No idea why that section (maybe one mile?) had been gravel for many years, because south of it towards Rt. 49, it had always been paved (probably 5 or 6 miles). And north towards the NY line from the gravel section, also paved.

The gas company(s) paid Hawbecker to repave the bad sections that had led PADOT to revoke their permits to use it.

Like I said above, that section had never held up well over the winters, long before any gas well traffic ran on it.

Long story short, PADOT made out like a bandit on that deal, because it didn't cost them anything to rebuild a road they'd never maintained properly in the previous 30 years.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The 3 wells that are on our property are all sandstone based, meaning everything is stone packed. What could grow on that? That said, the drillers did a great job on our camp road because they needed to get 18 wheelers into the drill sites. They replaced a 4'x25' pipe and added 15 drainpipes on our camp road. The gas company officials were always above board with us and truthful as to timetables and procedures.

·
Registered
16,510 Posts
Yep. Range Resources got in contact with QDMA and asked for food plot recommendations. We're busy making them a list of mixes, seed companies, etc. that will be very wildlife friendly.

I certainly appreciate their pro-active approach!
Not to bely Range Res., but trust me, that has everything to do with the landowner including in the contract, a "wildlife mix" as reseed. Has nothing to do with Range being proactive. Reactive yes, proactive, not so much. Still a good thing.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
They do need to plant stuff on these pads to control run off and erosion, and I'm sure that is in the regs, may as well be beneficial stuff, right?

·
Registered
16,510 Posts
Yep, but they aren't into going out of their way for a favor. They'd just as soon shoot out the "Contractor's Mix" of grass seed.
Kudos to the landowner that put it in the contract. Maybe should be a standard.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah. 25 PA code chapter 78 and chapter 102 deal with Erosion and sediment... they also state reg's for 70% uniform veg. cover has to be on site 9 months after the well has hit total depth.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stone is an acceptable BMP. BMP stand for "Best Managment Practice" I Dont like that regulation... But it is acceptable.
Personally, my favorite is both types of clover about shin high... growing like wildfire!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts