The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an interesting fossil a few days ago down in my creek. It's not the typical shell stuff. Would like to get it ID'd. I will try to post a pic some time. In the meantime let me know on here or via PM.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
A nice clear photo with a ruler to see size would help.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Notice the segmentation between pieces. In person it is really noticeable and actually undercuts some into the rock

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

There are several of them in the one rock. They seem to have oblong, ovalish, segmented bodies. If in fact that is what it is.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I don't think its a fossil, looks like a shellrock formation.I have found these before.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on "the rock". I forwarded it on to a geologist who spends a lot of time studying fossils. Initial thoughts where fossilized rock/mud cracks when I first forwarded him the pictures. After studying it person he does not believe this is the case and has forwarded the rock onto a paleontologist for further review.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Almost looks to me like it's a cast of where iron or manganese deposits had been, then eroded out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The geologist and paleontologist both said it is rock from the Devonian era. They estimated it at 250 millions years old. One of the geologists initial thoughts was as mentioned by another poster that a crystalline mineral deposits was initially there and was eroded out. After looking at it in person he isn't so sure but that is still a possibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts