The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
They're fantastic crossbows. Great starter bows and for seasoned hunters. Almost bought one myself for the wife but ended up getting a screaming deal on a PSE Fang.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yep. The new for 2018 Invader X4 got many nice upgrades.
Yoikes! Their price got upgraded too! They're supposed to be an ENTRY LEVEL bow. While the quality is top notch I find ten point simply doesn't seem to have entry level pricing any more. Even horton bows are literally almost twice the cost of the originally horton owned models. Yes, the manufacturing processes are improved but they sure are proud of their bows... Que the "you get what you pay for" responses...

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
Yoikes! Their price got upgraded too! They're supposed to be an ENTRY LEVEL bow. While the quality is top notch I find ten point simply doesn't seem to have entry level pricing any more. .
The new X4 can still be had for $499 and often times free shipping from some dealers. The WR Warrior Ultra Light will be around $425. Those price points are entry level in my mind. You can get Chinese made crossbows for $300 and under if one wants to go that route.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The new X4 can still be had for $499 and often times free shipping from some dealers. The WR Warrior Ultra Light will be around $425. Those price points are entry level in my mind. You can get Chinese made crossbows for $300 and under if one wants to go that route.
The WR site has them for $699 msrp. That's a buge difference from $499. I'm all for US made, don't get me wrong, but you have to admit, tenpoint is regularly higher priced than most manufacturers for the equivalent performance. They even advertise fps like the akr rifle makers do, with the lightest bolts they make. I chrono'd an older invader that advertised 315 fps. With my maxima hunting bolts it was under 300, averaging 290, +/-. Again, not knocking the quality, just know how they work. Sold them for 10 years and have seen drastic up pricing for the equivalent performance over competing companies.

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
The WR site has them for $699 msrp. That's a buge difference from $499.
It is. I was just relaying the prices they can be had for.

I'm all for US made, don't get me wrong, but you have to admit, tenpoint is regularly higher priced than most manufacturers for the equivalent performance.
For sure. There is lots to consider when buying a bow. Price and performance are two of many factors to consider.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I own a WICKED RIDGE INVADER and I am more than happy with it. It is the first and only cross bow that I have owned tho. Also, around Christmas time I was looking at prices for a friend at DICKS and they were under $400

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll be going into year 3 with the Warrior model. It's really accurate, but I will be adding the silencer kit / dampening rods this spring. Not sure if the new Invader model comes with silencers, but you'll likely want them. If the Invader does come with a auto-cocker, that's kind of nice. It's also pretty narrow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
CL3,

I have had a Warrior for the same amount of time and am likewise pleased with it. You might want to look carefully into adding the silencing and dampening equipment. I added limb, foot stirrup, and bolt hold-down spring silencers last year. It MIGHT have quieted it a little but it was still loud. I recently added the string dampener rods and, again, MIGHT have gained a very small amount of quieting. I seriously question whether it was worth the expense.

·
Registered
90 Posts
CL3,

I have had a Warrior for the same amount of time and am likewise pleased with it. You might want to look carefully into adding the silencing and dampening equipment. I added limb, foot stirrup, and bolt hold-down spring silencers last year. It MIGHT have quieted it a little but it was still loud. I recently added the string dampener rods and, again, MIGHT have gained a very small amount of quieting. I seriously question whether it was worth the expense.
Windsniffer:

You know, I actually was concerned this would be the case. I have a video shooting it so I have a reference on the current sound level, but your comment is a good one. Another guy at work just got a new xbow that came with the silencers already installed so I was going to do a comparison this spring with him before I make any moves.

I lost a nice deer this fall because he jumped the string (I hit him in the shoulder). I'm also ditching the Rage Hypodermics for Grim Reapers too. Check those out. The shoot them through 55 gallon barrels.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've also heard good things about the Grim Reapers, but have had not the slightest difficulty shooting through deer with Muzzy 125 gr. fixed blade Trocars. Last season, the boy, wife and I took a total of four deer with them. The availability of replacement blades makes them even more economical, too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm also looking at an X4. Prices now are $560 w/ Acu-50. Anyone see significant difference with the G3. I can get that one w/ Acu-52 for $380. I can live with the slightly lower fps and cocked width if that is all it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I've had one for a few years now.
It's a little loud but at that arrow speed, I don't care.
I have the accu-draw and reinstalling the pullers back into the plastic housing in the stock can be load and clumsy.

I've killed a few deer with it. Great bow for the price and shoots well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have the accu-draw and reinstalling the pullers back into the plastic housing in the stock can be load and clumsy.
Yeah, but that means that you've just fired. In the field. So, I always look at it as "I've just paid for 20 minutes of not being quiet", so a bit of setup time -- before I settle back in -- doesn't bother me.

(And, I have to admit -- until I realized that it was all about getting the magnets to line up and settle, I was getting frustrated about resetting the handles properly.)

To tell the truth, knowing that I'd never again forget my rope-cocking cord at home was a major win for me!

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
Have you seen it in person?

I have not seen the new X4 in person yet, but am very familiar with the Acudraw50 cocking mechanism.

What's the mechanism upgrade do for us in the field?

It is always right there at the ready within the buttstock, retracts out of the way, and eliminates the need to carry and detangle rope cockers.

Worth buying the new model now, or just convenient when it's time to buy?

If one is not necessarily in the market to buy, there is nothing on the X4 that should make one want to run out an buy one. When the time comes, it should be a bow to consider at the price point. The older G3 version is still available in many places and is a mighty fine bow at a reduced price since the introduction of the X4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts