The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here do any dove hunting? I got my stamp this year and want to try it out... Opens in a couple days, does anyone have tips to share? I hear the breast meat is great with bacon

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dove shooting is a great way to start off the hunting season. I at least try and get out opening day and a few after anyway. Sit along a tree line bordering a cut corn field with maybe some phone wires or dead trees and you should get some good shooting. Ive always had better success later in the evening. Be very still. They have excellent eye sight and will swerve off at first motion detected. Dont shoot an over choked gun and give plenty of forward allowance on those crossing shots. They are like little grey rockets. The breasts taste great grilled and wrapped in bacon like you said. I also have split the breasts and put them on kabobs with peppers, tomatos, onions, etc. I prefer them this way. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Set up near grain and water, you are in business. Some evenings are blisters, they don't stop coming. I vividly remember being the ammo "Hump" as a kid, a game pouch full of shotgun shells, a few boxes for each guy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Drive around and look for cut fields...ask permission...find a tree line or something to break up your outline as they approach and park yourself there. Bring along a seat, water and a couple boxes of shells
If you can find a grove of evergreens, that can be a really good place right before dark as they come in to roost.

·
Registered
149 Posts
dove hunting has been something i have done since i was able to hunt, and i too was the "retriever" long before that. I remember we would go and i would shoot 3-4 boxes of shells and get 1 maybe 2. and my dad would be right beside me and limit out on a box. 22 yrs later i can honestly say i have gotten alot better, i agree that you can over choke, i think that was my main problem, until i got zeroed in. Still for me, i dont know if it is all the memories or what, but i love dove hunting. Not as many birds where we go, and usually only get out the first day and maybe 1 or 2 other nights, but sure is fun... Can get hot so make sure you take some water and enjoy the september air. Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Marinate the breasts in sprite sode for ten minutes then a soy sauce and teryaki sauce mix for an hour then rap in bacon and make kabobs I saw the recipe on a hunting show now I can't get enough!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Take the breast fillet and a piece of jalapeno pepper and wrap in bacon and grill.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ill be settin up in a half cut corn field monday at 12 sharp. Cant wait till opening day. Gettin a itchy trigger finger.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I wish I could find enough doves around here to even consider taking 100 rounds of ammo! No fields cut, no doves

·
Registered
743 Posts
Dove hunting can be an absolute blast. Back in the day we used to have a couple farms that allowed us to hunt and we would all go through a couple boxes. We have since lost that property and realy have to work for birds. We only evening hunt in large feilds that have been cut recently. The doves like to get there for the grains from the fresh grasses and for the small stones for the gizzard. pack plenty of water and 100 shells and a good chair.. Stay still and you should be able to get into a number of them..... good luck

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was out near a cornfield today groundhog hunting but didn't see any, I have a nice brushy field area with large pines bordering it. I have noticed a lot of doves there, will they not frequent an area like that in sept? Or do the specifically neat in cornfields? I like the kabab idea!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had a voicemail on my phone today from a buddy who said he'd seen "hundreds" at one of our favorite places. Yea, we'll be out there on Monday!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Been dove hunting since I was 12. And before that I would retrieve for my dad. One of my favorite seasons! Its been spotty this year with hardly any fields cut. Found a spot with undreds last week now they are gone. A new field got cut this week and saw hundreds there yesterday. Got permission and the farmer also said he would not give anyone else permission. So I am ready!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
The large pines near a brushy field will hold them. A good
roosting spot. Set up near the end of the day and wait for
them to come flying in. They are a blast to hunt!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great I can't wait! Did somebody mention a 12pm start? I couldn't find anything On this because Monday on the open I may only be able to hunt in the morning but I will be happy if I only get a few.

·
Registered
277 Posts
First season is a noon start. Your spot sounds like a perfect 'dusk' spot...should be fast n furious for about 30 minutes at last light.

·
Registered
248 Posts
take the fallet and soak them in beer for 24 hours then roll them in flour and your favorite seasoning i think the beer makes them as tender as it gets

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I like to hunt quarries. Most require permission but it shouldnt be too hard to get.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts