The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post pics this evening when I get back home, I can't figure out how to do it from this dang phone. It is a tin button with a capital I on it, it is a a dead match to a reb infintry button to my untrained eye. Did I mention this was my second time detecting ever?

·
Registered
263 Posts
striperfred said:
I will post pics this evening when I get back home, I can't figure out how to do it from this dang phone. It is a tin button with a capital I on it, it is a a dead match to a reb infintry button to my untrained eye. Did I mention this was my second time detecting ever?
I’m aware of a few Civil War reenactments that have been held in Juniata County. Its possible it’s a reproduction lost by a Confederate re-enactor.

Was it found at a park?

That being said, I’m pulling for you, that it’s an authentic Reb button.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
The key will be a picture of the back as well. Replicas are different than originals on the back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the site this was found is an old house foundation, all that is left is a partial chimney and foundation of stone, on a parcel of private ground at least 2 miles to the nearest public road and at least 1/2 mile to the nearest trail navigatable with a 4wd. Is there a tutorial on here to post pics, I can't get it to take with cut/paste on the image bar.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The tutorial for posting pics is in the FAQ’s located at the top right of the forum page (under your username logout)

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
What you have is a Script Confederate Block I (Infantry Officer) button from what I can tell, BUT pics of the back are needed.
I am no expert, just good with google searches. From your picture, the border around the outside looks to be too thin which would indicate a replica made for re-enacters, BUT again, pics of back will tell the story, along with a pic from directly above, no angle.

One never knows, I found a civil war breastplate 25miles from any known battle areas once, turned out to be real. I'm pulling for you

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
your pics were just sent to a few experts as well as shared with a few guys more up on the Civil War artifacts than me. I'll probably have an answer for you in a day or two

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will tell you that if it was a re-enacter, they were retracing the steps of horse theives, or so the legend goes. yes that was a hint.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This fascinates me and I’m anxious for the outcome. I don’t know that it means anything one way or the other, but it seems the shank is way off center.

For many years in my younger days I was an avid CW (Federal) re-enactor, but I’m not well versed on buttons – neither Federal nor Confederate.

In addition to organized reenactments, our unit would sometimes have our own overnight marches somewhere out in the boonies. There are some Confederate reenactment units located in Central PA who perhaps do the same.

Again, it will be great if indeed this is an original button.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
ok, does your button have a smooth letter I, or does it have lines?
in other words, inside the letter I, is the metal smooth or striped with lines?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts