The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a Ruger 41 a few years ago and really would like to hunt with it. I have tried several factory loads and cannot get it to shoot worth a dang.
I’m hoping to find a member that has experience loading the 41 that would be willing to develop a load for me and load a few boxes. Of course I would pay you for your time, components, etc. I don’t reload myself and prefer to find somebody that has the experience and equipment to work up a load for the 41 mag. Not looking for a barn burner, just something that will shoot respectable groups with 210 grain wadcutters. PM me if you think that you maybe able to assist.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
instead of shooting wadcutters, try jacketed bullets and see if it makes a difference. i shoot a 41 mag and never used cast bullets. im still tinkering with my gun to get it shooting where i want it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am not close enough to you to serve your desired purpose and I wouldn't reload for anybody else anyway. But, if you find somebody near you, you might suggest trying Hornady 210 Gr. XTPs and Lil'gun powder, if they're still available. I haven't loaded those in quite some time. Those two in combination gave me good groups and performance on deer out of a Redhawk in that caliber. I would advise against using plain wadcutter bullets for hunting.

The .41 magnum is a great deer cartridge and should serve you well.

I hope you find the right combination that works for you.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
windsniffer, dont you wish that Ruger would make the 41 mag in the Redhawk again. i had one years ago and sold it. dumbest thing i ever did. now i have a Blackhawk in 41 mag. also got a 44 mag in Redhawk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep in mind that Alliant says not to use Blue Dot in any 41mag loads. Maybe not the most popular powder any more, but lots of guys out there using old reloading books that show Blue Dot loads for the 41. It use to be my favorite powder for that caliber in my hunting loads.

Following is a quote from Alliant website:

Safety Notice
At Alliant Powder, we take safety seriously. That’s why we periodically test our products in different situations to be sure our use recommendations stay current. Check here for any safety notes or recall information. Stay safe and keep accurate.
Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.
During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:
Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
with all the makers of powders available for reloading, why take a chance. i prefer Hornady bullets, but thats just my choice. im not one to have to mess with a bunch of different bullets when the Hornady bullets shoot well out of my guns. if you decide to shoot heavy loads, make sure you handgun can handle them. both of mine are Ruger's. one Blackhawk and a Redhawk. though i dont load hot loads im not worried that the guns being able to do so.

·
Registered
301 Posts
windsniffer, dont you wish that Ruger would make the 41 mag in the Redhawk again.

Well, not really. The fact that they are no longer produced makes ones that do exist all the more valuable. If they would be produced again, I'd no doubt have at least one more. I do like it a lot.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ruger brought out the Redhawk in the 4 5/8 in barrel a few years ago I saw it on Gallery of Guns website. I am not sure if it is still available.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i looked in my reloading manual yesterday, which is an older version, and they dont list any loads for lead bullets for the 41 mag. if you have been shooting lead bullets make sure you clean the barrel to remove any lead out of the riflings. this can affect the accuracy. i seen a revolver once that the guy said his gun was throwing shots all over the place. when i looked through the barrel it looked like there was no riflings. lead had built up to where it filled the riflings.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I never load for the 41 but have loaded thousands of rounds of .357 and .44mag. In both calibers 2400 and Unique worked best. Granted 2400 is dirty, but it give you good accuracy. You seldom read about these powders anymore but give them a try, I think you will be happy.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
what powder for the 41 and 44 is cleaner burning. ive used AA #9 and 2400 which both seem to be on the dirty side. is H 110 better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts