The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have problems with ants getting in your trail cameras and laying eggs this time of year? Mine are full of them, looking for tips to prevent this.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had the same issue recently 1st time I ever seen it. I did notice the rubber seal on the bottom of my camera wasn't tight so maybe that's how they got in. Sorry I couldn't provide advice but letting you know your not alone.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
1 round moth ball inside will fix it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Dude, I have lost 2 good trail cams to that very thing. Moth balls will deter the ants, keep the deer away too.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just had one last week. clean it out and place back. What was worse was 20 to 30 deer ticks crawling over the one cam, i looked at it for 5 minutes making sure i wasnt seeing something other then deer ticks, It must be the heat or something inside the cam. I spayed the outside with permethrn and havent had the problem.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put my camera in a gallon zip lock bag and then put it in the freezer for a day to make sure all the ants were dead.

·
Registered
669 Posts
greenstang232 said:
I put my camera in a gallon zip lock bag and then put it in the freezer for a day to make sure all the ants were dead.
My wife would just love me if I did that!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I lost one last year to ants and had another filled with them a week or so ago on the same tree. The camera was still working this time so I scraped them out and moved trees. However, I was kicking myself on the way home as I remembered last year they got into components of the camera you couldn't see, so I should have taken home and tried the freezer trick. I hope they take it easy on chewing the wires till I can make it back, but it will be another couple weeks.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
I had a bunch of ants in my cam near camp. I sprayed inside the cam door with ant killer. Ironically they died.

I was careful not to spray the camera or electronics. In a few days the smell is gone and all is well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Next time you check your cam try and clean out the ants the best you can and then close it up and spray the outside edge with permathrin. No more critters and it's scentless

1 - 11 of 11 Posts