The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had the same issue recently 1st time I ever seen it. I did notice the rubber seal on the bottom of my camera wasn't tight so maybe that's how they got in. Sorry I couldn't provide advice but letting you know your not alone.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Dude, I have lost 2 good trail cams to that very thing. Moth balls will deter the ants, keep the deer away too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just had one last week. clean it out and place back. What was worse was 20 to 30 deer ticks crawling over the one cam, i looked at it for 5 minutes making sure i wasnt seeing something other then deer ticks, It must be the heat or something inside the cam. I spayed the outside with permethrn and havent had the problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I lost one last year to ants and had another filled with them a week or so ago on the same tree. The camera was still working this time so I scraped them out and moved trees. However, I was kicking myself on the way home as I remembered last year they got into components of the camera you couldn't see, so I should have taken home and tried the freezer trick. I hope they take it easy on chewing the wires till I can make it back, but it will be another couple weeks.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I had a bunch of ants in my cam near camp. I sprayed inside the cam door with ant killer. Ironically they died.

I was careful not to spray the camera or electronics. In a few days the smell is gone and all is well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.