The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
The horror! Almost forgot to run mine over to the Hbg. PO last evening. Too many irons in the fire at the moment.

😱

Was at camp last July. Son wanted to go to Coudersport, so we drove over there Saturday and I dropped the Pinky with the 3A app, in the PO lobby box. Was actually awarded it a day later than usual, compared to when I mail it at the Hbg. PO on a Friday evening, like I normally do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I only want one deer a season so when I shoot a doe I just scratch off the antlers on my regular tag. 🦌

Reactions: bohunr

·
Super Moderator
26,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still didn't come!! I'm starting to get really nervous that the tag won't be here in time!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious BC how deer/ boar licenses were handled in Germany?
Renewed my Jagdschein (hunting license) every three years. The end. 😃

They don't have a tag system like we do. Management is done by whomever holds the hunting rights for a given area, based on a plan submitted annually to the higher hunting authority. The person that manages the area tells you what you can and can't shoot. Hogs are pretty much shoot whatever you can.
The area I hunted was through the local German Forestry office, similar to our DCNR. I had an area of about 48 hectares (120 acres) in the forest that I was the only hunter. The Jaegermeister for the forest office determined what and how many could be shot. Also similar to our DCNR, their attitude is that one deer in the forest is too many.......
Basically, once the season opened I could kill deer until I ran out of bullets. Plus, selling of game meat is legal there and the forest office does their own retail sales. I also had to pay for anything I shot, but if I didn't want to I could just hang it in their cold room and they would process and sell it. I never did that, and usually only shot deer for myself. I've never sold any either. Couldn't bring myself to do that.

Drive hunts are a different story. Before the hunt they tell you what's allowed to be shot, whether or not there's a trophy fee and if so on what size and how much, and also whether or not you'd be able to purchase what you shoot. On one of the first private drive hunts I did they said that we'd only be able to purchase what we shot if enough deer were killed to fill the orders he had had with customers (restaurants and butcher shops). We far exceeded that. I killed two and bought one of them.
Most of the drive hunts I did was with the Forestry office, and much less restrictive.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts