The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you agree or disagree?
Have you saw improvment in quality of bucks?

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
I agree to a point, but would like to see 3 Points to a side state wide. I have seen improvements in certain areas, especially McKean county-ANF.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'd like to see it go to 4 points on a side. AR seems to be working pretty well but it could work better if the basket 6's and even small 8's lived another year.

·
Super Moderator
13,198 Posts
alpabuck said:
I'd like to see it go to 4 points on a side. AR seems to be working pretty well but it could work better if the basket 6's and even small 8's lived another year.
I agree let them go and let them grow...

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Ah, prime example... Opening day, my dad said he saw 3 does and a big 2.5 YO 5 point buck with a 1.5" brow tine we had on game camera a million times run by him. He passed it up only to watch it run on to the SGL our property borders. He said it wasn't 30 seconds and he hears a shot only to see the 3 does run back minus the buck. Guy just couldn't pass up that thing... Another year and he'd have most likely been a dandy 8 point! Oh well...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I see less bucks now. Where are all the young spikes and forkhorns? The few nice buck that are around get poached out. Poaching is the only thing that has benefited from AR.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The attitude of most killers, I mean hunters is if it's leagal it's dead. Filling the tag is priority #1.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Jdbllung said:
Filling the tag is priority #1.
I buy General License and anterless licenses with 1 thing in mind, when deer season is in, FILL the Tag to FILL the Freezer!

Many of us do not buy a license and then go out and say "Geeeee, look over yonder at that 3.5- 8 point, gee, wish he was 4.5, then I could shoot him"

We also do not buy our licenses to set in the woods and watch deer walk by, if we wanted to do that, we could do it for FREE!

With the Attitude of calling those who hunt for meat as "killers" Maybe you should just not buy a hunting license and just set with a camera and take pictures of those deer.....then you would never be called a killer and would also be doing something that is LEGAL, Same as those of us who shoot and fill our tags!

YES, I take offence to what you stated!

Deer were ment to be eaten, that red meat under their skin is to us to eat, not to be grown for the racks to hang on the walls.......many will never understand that!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
woody, i agree with you on what you are saying. a lot of us hunt with eating in mind. id like to know how many of the hunters who support AR are bow hunters and how many are rifle hunters. seems to me that the bow hunters would outnumber the rifle. bow hunters get a longer season to hunt without the pressure that rifle hunters must contend with. plus when the legal bucks are taken by bow hunters in a specific area there is very few for the rifle hunters to hunt. in my area i havent seen a legal buck during rifle season since they started AR. im in 2D, and i am not going to drive 100 miles to hunt in an area that has 3 points to a side. IMO the 3 points to a side should be statewide so hunting would be the same for all. for those that want to take a bigger buck they have the option to wait until that big one comes by.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Deer were ment to be eaten, that red meat under their skin is to us to eat, not to be grown for the racks to hang on the walls.......many will never understand that!

why not shoot a doe and let the bucks grow for the trophy hunters? cant we get along? that EXACTLY is the biggest hurdle we as pennsylvania sportsmen need to get over

·
Registered
227 Posts
I eat everything I shoot. I like to eat deer because it is better for you. Lower in fat and cholesterol. I really try to stay away from any other red meat anymore.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd like to see 3 on one side in some areas like the mountainous areas of pa because the bucks up their have gotten smaller and smaller every year

·
Registered
308 Posts
4 points on one side, state wide, and making poaching a more serious crime. "Poaching: You can't afford it".

And turn your neighbors in if they violate. We all have to pitch in.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I agree with AR up to a point. About 3 years after they went in effect - we had a great year, there were rack bucks running around everywhere. BUT from that year forward it was back to normal. Bucks (and deer in general) are few and far between in mountainous areas of our state and state forests. The past few years we are not even seeing many spikes and little buck as in years past. Last year, I had a beautiful Y buck walk past me and my brother in law - a good 16" spread and heavy horns, I would guess it was at least 3.5 years old maybe 4.5.

4 points on one side, I feel, is way too restrictive. I guess it can be made to work if you sit in a tree stand or blind with 12x binoculars, but my style of hunting is on my feet walking/stalking the mountains and you take your game to deer, not sitting all day waiting for them to walk by. AR's in general have all but killed this style of hunting.

I would like to see the western half where it is 4 point, go to 3 point, and everywhere else any branched horn ( Y or better) is legal. Spikes get the free paas.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My '08 and '09 bucks were the 2 smallest buck I ever got. One was a 7pt. and one was a 8pt., they both had a 13" spread, "basket rack". The 7pt. was 1.5 y.o and the 8pt was 2.5 y.o. I'm 37 years old started deer hunting when I was 14, missed a couple of seasons due to military service, but I have managed to shoot 11 bucks over the years, nothing smaller, point wise, than a 6pt. So I'm very lucky for that, I guess. I'm definately not a "bone collector", if it is legal, I will try to harvest it.
IMO, AR would not be such an issue, if we didn't kill so many button bucks in the rifle season. If we went back to a 3 day doe season, a lot less of next year bucks would be harvested.
Points to a side is stupid anyway, doesn't most place that try to grow trophies use, spread rather than points.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
good point - maybe why we are not seeing little bucks is becasue they are getting shot as button bucks for does.

I too, would like to see us go back to a split buck and doe season.

·
Registered
653 Posts
4 points to 1 side? WTH?? Don't ever go hunting where i'm hunting then... because you'll go years before seeing one that big!! the biggest deer i've seen where i hunt was on a trail cam.. and that was only a 7

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
after some of the deer we have seen this year, i think the 3pt to a side down here is just fine. theres 3 big 6pts down this way, one being atleast 3.5. will they make it to 8pt, i dont know, but two of them are definatley shooters and ones pretty close. the biggest is pushing 20" wide. theres also a 4pt down here that would make any hunters blood flow. i think they should drop a point for each area, and make it points on the main beam. brow tines can be very hard to see at times. make it 3pts up top, and 2pts up top. just my opinion, which really doesnt matter. luckily we have tons of legal bucks running this year.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts